backfire on 2jz

leafar

backfire on 2jz

Postby leafar » Wed May 09, 2007 10:43 am

hello i finaly turned the supra on every time i crank the car it backfires then runs the car runs great but every once and a while cylinder 1 and 6 coil (waste spark ) wont fire. if i turn the car off then on it will work fine. i have changed the coil but it still does the same thing. i was wondering if i need to use a different ignition/coil setup? or do i need a stronger signal to trigger the msd box. i am using a msd DIS 4 ans msd twin tower coils in waste spark any help would be appreciated thanks

crispeed

dis-4

Postby crispeed » Wed May 09, 2007 8:33 pm

The MSD DIS boxes are very sensitive to voltage drop. They must be connected directly to the battery positive and ground. Also if the power wires have to be extended you should use a minimum or 10 to 8 gauge wire.
Is the little red LED blinking on the side while you're experiencing the problems? If so check the number of blinks as this will indicate what codes the box is showing so you can verify what area to check for problems.

leafar

Re: dis-4

Postby leafar » Fri May 11, 2007 11:18 am

the voltage drops is normal during cranking (from 12.8volts to 11.6) while the car is on it is @14.3-14.6
on the dis4 the led blinks three time which msd says intermittent input signal.
is it possible that the haltech has something wrong?
i have an extra channel on the dis and i have used it with same results. i changed the filtering on the triggers thinking the msd needs a stronger signal dont know what else to do besides change the ecu which, which i wouls have to buy.
any ideas????? again thanks

crispeed

msd ignition

Postby crispeed » Fri May 11, 2007 12:39 pm

What type or spark plugs and cables are being used? The newer MSD DIS boxes are very picky about that. Ask me how I know.

crispeed

masd ignition

Postby crispeed » Fri May 11, 2007 12:45 pm

Also don't rule out the Haltech completly. Some of the early 'X' boxes had a problem triggering the MSD directly.
I even had a newer unit no to long ago that was having asimilar problem and had to send it back.

leafar

Re: masd ignition

Postby leafar » Fri May 11, 2007 11:41 pm

i am using msd wire. this really is a problem. i was wondering if the haltech could trigger a module then the signal would be stronger to the msd?

crispeed

msd

Postby crispeed » Sat May 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Try and bypass the MSD entirely with an igniter. If that works then try and re-hook the MSD but keep the igniter in between the ECU and MSD.
Remember you have to change the ignition setup to suit the igniter. Do you still have the factory igniter?

Return to “Technical Support (from EZboard)”