Ford TFI 4cyl

GVR41700

Ford TFI 4cyl

Postby GVR41700 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:19 am

Trying to use a ford Dist with the factory Hall effect sensor. This dist doesn't have the sig pip. All the vanes are of the same size. I wanted to use this in my 2.3 turbo setup. I have tried hooking it up per the instructions but I can't get any RPM signal from it. I have it set up with multitooth, 100 deg trigger angle, 0 offset right now, 4 tooth, Halleffect and rissing edge becuase I have MSD. I phased the rotor to 25deg BTDC and then adjusted the sensor in the dist to line up with the vane at 70deg BTDC. I was using just the dist with the hall effect sensor not the TFI module. Looking at the distributor from where the module attaches and going from left to right I have the ground, power and signal. Any help please.

GVR41700

Re: Ford TFI 4cyl

Postby GVR41700 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:12 am

I think I got this figured out. I made the mistake of selecting multitooth. I selected Standard this time and I have RPM. I just had to adjust the trigger angle down to 80 and all is good. I havent put it on the dyno yet to check for that missfire but I can already tell it runs better. Before when I would free rev it passed 4000 it would stumble and surge. Now it free revs up passed 6000 no problem and I even have a decent cold engine idle. Before I needed to wait for it to get to about 120 deg F for a decent Idle. The vacuum of the engine is up some too. With the big duration cams I have I used to get 1 to 2 inches at idle. I now have about 5 inches. Hopefully this takes care of the missfire I had at 3800 rpm / 13psi boost.

GVR41700

Re: Ford TFI 4cyl

Postby GVR41700 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:39 pm

Well there is still that bad missfire at around 3800 rpm under load. It doesn't seem as severe but its still there. I know the problem wasn't there before this E6X project but maybe its not related. Anyone with a suggestion please.

pajeroturbo

trigger gain

Postby pajeroturbo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:15 am

try playing with the trigger gain an see if it helps with your problem.

GVR41700

Re: trigger gain

Postby GVR41700 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:07 am

There is no Trigger Gain when you select Standard as your trigger type. There is only Trigger angle. My trigger setup is
Trigger angle 70, type standard, trigger input pul up on, Trigger input Hall effect,trigger edge Rising, Home input Hall effect, home edge rising.

ON the ignition setup page: Trigger angle 70, tooth offset 0, spark mode distributor, spark output constant duty, spark edge Rising, constant duty 50.

Fuel setup: Injection mode Multipoint.

This is a 4cyl ford 2.3 turbo. I am using the stock distributor with the halleffect switch in it. I am not using the ford TFI module. I had adjusted the halleffect sensor in the dist. after I phased the rotor per the instructions. This car also has an MSD 6AL box and a blaster 3 coil.

If anyone sees a problem with my setup please let me know.

GVR41700

Postby GVR41700 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am

I'm going nuts with this car. Would some one do me a favor and sneak over to my shop and steal this car.

I just can't figure out this missfire. I just installed another MSD6AL box, blaster 3 coil, new plugs, new MSD wire, cap and rotor. I've played some more with the maps and I just can't figure it out. This missfire is so consistant. Its like an on off switch. What I have noticed is that it is more related to the boost then it is the rpm. I can bring up the rpm gradually on the dyno by not mashing the throttle. And I can get it to about 5000 rpm before it gets to 11psi but as soon as it gets to 11psi give or take .5 then the car missfires. The missfire feels like its looseing at least 2 cylinders. I have tried putting timing lights on each cylinder and spark checkers inline on each wire and have come up empty. The spark is strong on each cylinder and doesn't cut out. I'm guessing that something has to be going on either with the fuel control or something mechanical. When this car had the F3 computer on it there wasn't this problem. I'm assuming that something must be wrong with how I have the haltech setup. If anyone knows of someone in the San Francisco Bay Area say within 100miles who may be able to help please let me know. I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this one.

GVR41700

Postby GVR41700 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:55 am

Still have the missfire.

I did notice a problem when I try to make adjustment to the fuel map in the same area I'm having this missfire. I don't know exactly all the cell's in the fuel map that do this but this is what happens.

If I change the numbers on the fuels text map in the 2500 to 4000 rpm range around 50 to 110 kpa they don't automatically apply to the Fuel 3D map. If I make adjustments to other parts the 3D map changes right away. The only way I can see the changes in the 3D map is if I save the file, close the windows I have open and then reload the file. The air fuel ratio looks pretty good on the dyno when the missfire occurs but I'm wondering if there is a problem with the haltech around the rpm and load that I'm having this problem.

Has anyone had this problem with the fuel maps before and where there any other symtoms with the way your car ran?

I was also wondering abut the Baro lock in the fuel setup page. I have it disabled (not checked off) Should I enable this and will it make a diffrence.

Return to “Technical Support (from EZboard)”