MSD coils and nissan ignitor compatibility?

themadscientist

MSD coils and nissan ignitor compatibility?

Postby themadscientist » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:00 pm

I have a new in the box E8, I am still planning out the install on my Nissan CA18DET. I plan to retain the stock cam angle sensor and run sequential fuel and ignition. I would like to lose the coil on plug so I can put my plug valley cover back on without worrying about cooking coils that you can't find anymore. I am looking at running four of these coils remote mounted store.summitracing.com/pa...t=MSD-8223
with this wire
store.summitracing.com/pa...=MSD-34019
triggered through the stock Nissan igniter.
Before I go spending the money on the parts is there a problem with the arrangement I just described?

nigel

Re: MSD coils and nissan ignitor compatibility?

Postby nigel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:40 am

you can use all the stock sensors or igniter on the new haltech the e8 or e11 ..do you know that you can get a plugin patch harness if no they have and it is as easy as it gets and yes you can either add a haltech dual channel ignitor with 2 twin tower coil pack and run wasted spark or buy a dis 4 and 4 single coil and run direct fire but we have done a sr20 with stock coil with engine mods made some pretty good power we had to stop making power because injectors maxed out adn that is with the plug and play loom with 3 bar map sensor and external air temp ..

Scott1600

Postby Scott1600 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:28 pm

if you are using a factory ignition module its not a good idea to be running msd coils. you should only use msd coils with a cdi system or you may have all sorts of odd problems.

matt510

msd coils

Postby matt510 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:46 am

i wouldnt use those coils - they are horrible old oil filled setups. be careful when selecting MSD coils as alot of them are made specifically for MSD's CDI units so they have very few windings which pretty much makes them useless with any other ignition module (such as your nissan module).

Id at least go for a more modern epoxy filled coil.

themadscientist

Postby themadscientist » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:43 am

good stuff. Thank you gentlemen. Does anyone have any specific brand and or model they recommend?

THR RX7

Postby THR RX7 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:04 am

I would say that the simplest solution to your problem is running the LS1 coils remotely, this will also be the cheapest way. They are available through Haltech directly for a very decent price and they come with their own built in igniter, and are proven to provide plenty of spark.

And if you still need to go with MSD coils, i would chose a DIS-2 with these coils:

store.summitracing.com/pa...toview=sku

But look into the LS1 coil option, im sure you'll like it better.
Claudio RX-7
http://www.tuningtechnology.com
info@tuningtechnology.com
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763.0202
Tel. +1(678)810.0763

Return to “Technical Support (from EZboard)”