2002 is300 haltech F10x question

pharmis300

2002 is300 haltech F10x question

Postby pharmis300 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:07 am

Hello-

I was wondering if you guys could help me clear up some confussion. I have an 2002 is300 with the 2jz-ge VVT-i motor. I am planning on installing a turbo system form SRT, which came with the Haltech F10x. I decided that I want to swap cams out and use aftermarket camshafts, possibly HKS 264's or 272's that will be machined to fit the GE head and will eliminate the VVt-i. Now my question is am I good to go in using the F10x with aftermarket cams? I have been told sure no problem by several people, and then I have been told no that I would have to upgrade to the E6x? If the later is true why? I thought the stock ECU will control timing? I appreciate any thoughts and help.

Thanks
joe

Scott1600

Postby Scott1600 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:23 am

the f10x will be enough to control the fuelling. if you are think about turbo kits and cams I would strongly reccomend using a fuel and ignition ecu to avoid engine damage from the factory ECU controlling the timing.
The E11v2 is the ECU of choice, as it controls the VVti as well! go haltech.

pharmis300

Postby pharmis300 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Well I am going to be losing VVT-i when the aftermarket cams are swapped in, so do you the the E6x would be sufficient?

THR RX7

Re: .

Postby THR RX7 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm

I would love to get one of those cars in my hands to be able to to do some testing of how the VVT-i really works, so that we can take full advantage of the variable timing. With the E11 or even an E8 this would be ideal.
Claudio RX-7
http://www.tuningtechnology.com
info@tuningtechnology.com
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763.0202
Tel. +1(678)810.0763

crispeed

VVTI

Postby crispeed » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:19 pm

VVTI on the supra is not something you can experiment with because it can lead to serious engine damage in a heartbeat.
The theory behind VVTI is to vary the intake cam timing continously based on load and rpm. It's basically the best of all worlds cam timing wise. You can actually feel the difference on a non VVTI vs VVTI motor torque/horsepower wise. It widens the torque/power band mainly in the low and midrage rpm areas.
On the dyno you can observe the cam a little going through it's timing changes with a timing light.
I've played around with the VCT on the Nissan RB25 motor and the results of varying the cam timing on that setup is clearly seen on the dyno. It's not as complicated as say the VVTI setup. It's basically an on/off design that varies the intake cam timing a set amount. It also enhances the low and midrange power.

THR RX7

Re: VVTI

Postby THR RX7 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:38 am

Yeah, i kno where you're coming from cris, and when i said experiment, i didnt mean start messing with it right away, i just meant monitor the signals from the stock ECU so we can mimic them with the Haltech, then take the function over and improve it.

So thats what i hope to do.

Claudio RX-7
http://www.tuningtechnology.com
info@tuningtechnology.com
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763.0202
Tel. +1(678)810.0763

Scott1600

Postby Scott1600 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:48 am

i mean mess with it!
my lancer also has variable cam and its great.

as for removing the vvti from a 2jz you would want to be putting a fairly agressive set in to even think about loosing all that bottom end.
good luck buddy.

Return to “Technical Support (from EZboard)”