Ignition coils on Porsche 911

Kanna Motorsports

Ignition coils on Porsche 911

Postby Kanna Motorsports » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Subject is a very radical Porsche 911 3.2 short stroke race engine prepared for SCCA GT2. Fuel and ignition management will be handled by a E11v2. Since this is a twin plug engine, I believe if LS1's were used, 12 would be needed. That makes for a ridiculously crowded ignition array. Our prefference would be to use on plug coils. What are the general suggestions as far as ones that would work with the Haltech and what other options would be required.

THR RX7

Re: Ignition coils on Porsche 911

Postby THR RX7 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:20 pm

If you dont want such a crowded engine bay, how about getting dual post coils, since you will be firing both plugs on each cylinder together anyway, then this would probably be a better idea, that way you only need 6 units.

I know Haltech has a dual post coil that they sell, but i dont know off the top of my head a dual post coil that comes with a built in igniter other than the RX-7 2nd coils, you could also get a pair of 6 cylinder wasted spark coil pack off some chrysler or mitsubishi engine, the 6G72 comes to mind, 2 of those units would probably be a good solution, specially since they come with a built in igniter, or a GM unit. What ever fits your budget and is available to you.

Ive tuned 2 of those kinds of engines once before, one had 3 6A MSD boxes controlling 6 Electromotive dual coil packs, the other we used an MSD DIS4 and 6 dual post coils.

Claudio RX-7
http://www.tuningtechnology.com
info@tuningtechnology.com
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763.0202
Tel. +1(678)810.0763

Kanna Motorsports

Postby Kanna Motorsports » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:49 pm

Ok, if we use the Haltech dual post coils what else isneeded? Apparantely they do not have a built in igniter .....suggestions?
Also is the E11v2 capable of controling charge time?

Kanna Motorsports

Postby Kanna Motorsports » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:26 am

Had some time this morning to research a little.

Seems we can use the Haltech dual coils with a pair of Haltech 3 channel dumb igniters. Correct?
Also since this is a new engine with no prior engine management system, what trigger/sensor configuration is suggested for both crank and cam (since this will be a full sequential setup)

THR RX7

Postby THR RX7 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:03 am

That will be up to you to decide what type of crank sensor you'd want to use. For example, you can go with the Haltech S3 sensor, using an aluminum disk to fit 3 magnets onto it 2 on north pole and 1 on the south for main trigger reference, this would provide the Haltech with a correct triggering and give you full sequential operation.

Another option if you have it is to install a 60-2 crank trigger with a single even cam sensor for TDC.

I would go with the Haltech S3 sensor setup its simpler and effective.

And yes, you will be able to use the 6 dual coils with a pair of Haltech triple channel igniters, no problem.
Claudio RX-7
http://www.tuningtechnology.com
info@tuningtechnology.com
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763.0202
Tel. +1(678)810.0763

Return to “Technical Support (from EZboard)”