Ignition driver issue.

the_bluester

Ignition driver issue.

Postby the_bluester » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:22 am

I thought I would split this out as the question has gotten lost in my other thread and it is probably a question for the Haltech guys.

Having discovered that the issue I was having with my E11 in the E36 318is appears rather than triggering, to be a coil drive issue (I was attempting to use the cars original coils, which meter out at the same 0.6-0.7 ohm primary winding as most high energy coils) This was using the Haltech supplied four channel OEM style module. My assumption is that the BMW coils have a lower primary to secondary winding ratio than some others and the drive current required to produce a good spark is higher than the Haltech OEM style module limits to.

I tested by rough wiring a single older HEC716 Bosch coil to the driver and it produced a decent spark on cranking where the BMW coils occasionally produced a very weak spark, but usually nothing, but I only have one of those and they appear no longer to be produced by Bosch.

Can any of the Haltech guys confirm if the current HEC715 is a suitable replacement? If this was discovered prior I would have just fitted four LS1 coils instead but we already have the driver so a plain coil is the best bet from here.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Ignition driver issue.

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:45 am

With the Bosch HEC (High Energy Coil) and MEC (Medium Energy Coil) style coils the number only dictates the style of electrical connection. Some have +/- backwards, some have EV1 connectors, some have thread/nut connectors, but they used the same coil arrangement.

the_bluester

Re: Ignition driver issue.

Postby the_bluester » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks, I can get the 715 at my local Autopro where I get trade price so if they are suitable then off I go. I was not entirely sure that they were equivalent electrically with simply a different HT terminal arrangement to the older 716 (Bosch seem a little reticent to release tech info on their website listings)

Return to “E11v2/E8”