E8 wasted spark settings

bodieheyward

E8 wasted spark settings

Postby bodieheyward » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:11 am

Hi all,

Need wisdom for a wasted spark set up on my 4cyl E8 conversion. It originally had a wasted spark set up which used pick ups and a single magnet on the crank for triggers (pick ups 180 deg apart 25deg BTDC). I would like to use these two pick ups to drive my twin coils through the E8 but I'm struggling to determin how to set it up as the E8 only has one trigger and home input. I've tried half cycle etc and get home (per 360 not 720) and trigger signals (per 360) but all I need is to work out how to get the E8 to fire one coil on one pick up and the other on the second pick up 180 deg later.

Do I need a cam sync pick up in conjunction with a single magnet on the crank?

Any help would be appreciated.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: E8 wasted spark settings

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:57 pm

Unless you have a 2-stroke engine, your 4-stroke engine syncs every 2x crank revolutions. You need a sync point off the cam which turns once for every two crank revolutions.

So minimum is 2x magnets on the crank, 1x on the came. This is what is called Standard Full Cycle trigger. i.e. one crank tooth per firing event, and one cam tooth to sync from.

bodieheyward

Postby bodieheyward » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks Matt,

I decided to get a 36-1 wheel to go wasted spark with two coils of ign channel 1 & 2. I got the super sensitive hall sensor from EFI hardware and have tried to set it up using the 36-1 ( ford ) setting.

I locked the timing to 0 deg tdc and using an inductive light have set 60 degree btdc and 3 teeth offset (missing tooth 90 deg btdc cyl 1). Number 1 syncs perfect but the other channel seems to fire every 180 deg on the crank instead of 360 like the other channel. The engine will start and runs of one pair of cylinders but the back (ch 2 ign) don't.

I've tried custom wheel and custom tooth on trigger setup with either 36 or 72 teeth but don't get any ignition according to timing light. However I get rpm.

I even tried changing number of cylinders in main to 2 in a effort to get the ecu to count the right teeth but I've had no luck.

Any ideas?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Motronic 36-1 (Ford) is the only trigger type that will work for you.

Return to “E11v2/E8”