Dead Time values for E11

BlackBirdSR71

Dead Time values for E11

Postby BlackBirdSR71 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 am

How and where does one input the injector Dead Time Values for a Haltech E11?

Using the Injector PW calculator posted by Engineer ( 2012 version ) . Have injectors with 1.2ms dead time.

Do I just add that to the calculated values? IE PW of 1.6ms + 1.2ms dead time = 2.8ms in Fuel PW table?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Dead Time values for E11

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 am

From memory it is one of your correction tables. Injector Dead Time Map.

But being Injection Time only, all this table really does is correct for changes in dead time with battery voltage. If the amount is wrong your tables are just offset by that amount so it does not really effect the tuning.

BlackBirdSR71

Postby BlackBirdSR71 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks. I think I've figured it out.

I believe it's under Battery correction. Since I have somehow acquired an Uber rare Version 1 ( Serial #E11-0047 ) , there are some differences in the Battery Compensation instructions.. Instructions for Version 1 say to leave the battery correction alone.

3.5.3 Battery Voltage
The Haltech ECU uses intelligent fuel injection driver circuitry that compensates for changes in battery voltage.
However, this compensation can be insufficient for the full range of battery voltages that a vehicle's electrical
system may experience. As the battery voltage falls, the injectors will take longer to turn on and so reduce the
effective open time. To compensate, the ECU applies the Battery Voltage Map to increase the injector ‘on’ time
as the voltage drops.

This map should not be altered unless the engine experiences lean mixtures under low voltage conditions such
as when headlights are turned on with brake lights also on.
To tune this map, setup the idle mixtures to ensure a
steady mixture when idling. Select the Battery Voltage map in the software whilst online, and note the position
of the home pointer. Apply the brakes and watch if the pointer moves. Add additional enrichment if the mixture
moves in a lean direction when greater electrical loads are placed on the vehicles electrical system.

This map should not be used to compensate for a deficient electrical charging system on a vehicle.

However the instructions for Version 2 have changed. Since I have some information from HalTech Australia that the Version 1 and Version 2 boards are virtually identical ( Recall was mainly for a change in AMP connector supply ) . These later instructions should be applicable.

BTW, I have updated the firmware to build #32 and HalWin 1.71. Bench testing seems to show that all is good. Since Halwin 1.71 has recognition for both E11-V1 and V2 it seems that V1 can be safely updated to at least Halwin. 1.71. Halwin 1.89 has no recognition feature for the V1 ECU, but I have a feeling that was just a company policy change as all the V1's were supposedly recalled . I may change to Biuld 35 and HalWin 1.89 at a later date, but I'm good with HalWin 1.71 for now. I've also heard that 1.71 is a bit less " buggy " than 1.89. FWIW.

Here are the instructions for Battery compensation in the Version 2 instructions. Note the different wording in regards to changing these settings and injector Dead Time. I feel that I should be safe using the version 2 instructions :

Battery Voltage
The Haltech ECU uses intelligent fuel injection driver circuitry that compensates for changes in battery
voltage. As the battery voltage falls, the injectors will take longer to turn on and so reduce the effective
open time. To compensate, the ECU applies the Battery Voltage Map to increase the injector ‘on’ time as
the voltage drops. This map can also be considered as an injector dead time map

BlackBirdSR71

Postby BlackBirdSR71 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 am

I think the original instructions were just a little confusing. Warning about not changing settings was throwing me off. Later instructions have clarified us of the Battery Table

Here is a screenshot forE11-V1 , default Battery compensation, which instructions warn not to change. ( Instructions Version 1.5 October 2002 )

Batt comp E11-V1.jpg

Here a screenshot of table for E11-V2. It's a little different, but clearer.

Batt comp E11-V2.jpg

Return to “E11v2/E8”