Haltech E8 misfiring at certain rpms

GeirMagne

Haltech E8 misfiring at certain rpms

Postby GeirMagne » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi.
Maybe I'm beating a dying horse here but I will try anyway.
I'vre recently installed a new in box E8 ECU together with loong wiring loom and a AIM Sport MXL via CAN BUS.
I'm running waste spark and semi sequential setup.
The car is a Volvo 940 8V turbo.
60-2 trigger located at the fly wheel. (Instead of raised spots and missing teeths on a normal 60-2 wheel Volvo use 58 drilled spots around the wheel.)

-At first I used stock VR trigger. It was hard to get started. Car misfired a lot and would not rev above 4000 whatever settings I tried. I also separated the trigger cable from wiring harness,

-Second attempt was to still use VR trigger but I sourced a VR to Hall converter and soldered it to the trigger cable. After changing the settings in the ECU it started instantly and seemed to rev smooth all the way to rev limiter.

After this setup I dynoed the car without issues (probably didn't hit the "sweet spot") and when I hit the road I found a spot in the rev range that the car started to behave jerky and AFR was bouncing up and down. This happends at 1750rpms and the double 3500rpms. No spots or anything noticeable was found in the map'. Tested with different resistors across VR trigger and also tested wit different air gaps. No difference at all.

-Third attempt was to swap the entirely VR/HALL setup to a pure Hall sensor from a Vauxhall using 60-2 setup.
Car starts and idles as previous setup and still got this spots with sync loss (1750 and 3500rpms)
Tested different gaps but signal looks the same.
After that I went a little bit further and pulled the entire trigger cable length out from the wiring loom and ran it as short as possible and separated from all other cables. No improvements.
I start to suspect the flywhell/trigger combo. There is a lot of magnetic material in near vicinity of the trigger.
But before I tear down transmission to goet more drastic is there anything I have overlooked?

Here is a picture of the logged trigger signal with the Hall trigger setup.
Attachments
Trig log_zpsj3fuptau.jpg

GeirMagne

Re: Haltech E8 misfiring at certain rpms

Postby GeirMagne » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:58 am

None experienced the same trigger issues?
After this post I went for a trigger kit containing a crank pulley mounted 36-1 trigger wheel mounted on a aluminium pulley.
Surprisingly the behavior is exactly the same. I also tried to start the car without the alternator belt on in case it produced electrical noise, but no.
Next will be to add a cam sync trigger, but I have a feeling that it's not going to do much difference.
Could it be something wrong with the ECU? Looking at the trigger signal it could very much look like the trigger signal is missing reference ground.

Peterson

Postby Peterson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 am

At the 36-1 wheel have you tried both the VR and Hall sensor?

GeirMagne

Postby GeirMagne » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 am

No I haven't tried both. Just tested with Hall trigger. I can try that, but not sure it will work.

Peterson

Postby Peterson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Give it a try.You never know..

GeirMagne

Postby GeirMagne » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:23 am

After thinking a lot around this problem I remember first time powering up the ECU on the bench i accidentally applied 12V to wrong wire. The wiring diagram said grey wire, but the grey wire was the shielded trigger cable bundle. I did just hold it against 12V so I discovered a spark and it saw 12V just a fraction of a second before it hit me that this couldn't be right. 12V probably went through the shield ab to ground. I measured out the correct pin and found the gray/yellow to be the correct ignition 12V wire.
It could be that I've burnt a trace in the ECU or damaged the trigger circuit, I guess I just have to open and have a look.
And for further stability I will also add cam sync.

Return to “E11v2/E8”