EGT Sensor

edyocdtt

EGT Sensor

Postby edyocdtt » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:17 pm

Guys

What brand/model of EGT sensor do you advice?

Edy

peterblais

Re: EGT Sensor

Postby peterblais » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:14 pm

are you looking for a gauge, or something to wire into the EGT output on the haltech, or both?

LMS_689

Postby LMS_689 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:58 am

I use these probes. http://tscsensors.com/egtep0720001ssnexhau.html You will want something with an open tip for tuning. Anything with a shielded tip will react much too slowly to be of any use for tuning. I've had good luck with these probes lasting a good long time at over 1700* F. I don't know of a single gauge "kit" that comes with a decent, unshielded probe. So, IMO, build everything around the probe. I use the Innovate TC-4 thermocouple amp to log EGT through the Innovate Logworks software. The TC-4 does not have an output to use with the Haltech or a separate display. There are many thermocouple amps on the market though that do have outputs. One you have the amp you can log and display through the Haltech and/or a separate gauge.
Haltech Parts and Accessories
Custom Harness Construction
http://www.lms-efi.com
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482

master chief

Postby master chief » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:40 am

Thats a greate site.

Check out on there Meter's page - they have just what you (and i) need !

http://tscsensors.com/pmdrd0000000ao0anal.html

Cheap, too !

edyocdtt

Postby edyocdtt » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:02 pm

well, at first i would like to wire the EGT on the Haltech, i just bought an MXL Display Dash and would like to display the information there and trigger an alarm, IF X degrees are reach the alarm light will turn on and for sure i would like to have do some tunning with it. but as LMS_689 said i need a fast response probe, i know there is a EGT probe that connects directly into the MXL dash, but if that one has a descent response time i really don't k know[code][/code]

peterblais wrote:are you looking for a gauge, or something to wire into the EGT output on the haltech, or both?

edyocdtt

Postby edyocdtt » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:51 pm

LMS

This amp master chief linked, any idea if it has an output to use with the haltech?

Edy

LMS_689 wrote:I use these probes. http://tscsensors.com/egtep0720001ssnexhau.html You will want something with an open tip for tuning. Anything with a shielded tip will react much too slowly to be of any use for tuning. I've had good luck with these probes lasting a good long time at over 1700* F. I don't know of a single gauge "kit" that comes with a decent, unshielded probe. So, IMO, build everything around the probe. I use the Innovate TC-4 thermocouple amp to log EGT through the Innovate Logworks software. The TC-4 does not have an output to use with the Haltech or a separate display. There are many thermocouple amps on the market though that do have outputs. One you have the amp you can log and display through the Haltech and/or a separate gauge.

peterblais

Postby peterblais » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:20 pm

If you are the DIY type, this amplifier can be built for about $20 and the output is scaled 0-5v, 0 to 1100C linearly- perfect for the haltech EGT input.

master chief

Postby master chief » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Yes - the EGT Guage/AMP i linked to, has an output for use with aftermarket ECU's like the Haltech.
Go to the link, and read the specs.

I have allso built the above circuit (or simmilar anyway), and used it for some time now, to be able to log my Autometer EGT, on my Greddy E01, and it works just fine.
The thing is, that Although it works fine for me, i would like something more trustworthy, to tune by - so i would go for something ready made.

Make sure though, that whatever device you go for, has a COLD JUNCTION Compensation sircuit, built into it.

peterblais

Postby peterblais » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:47 am

ya, i checked the calibration of my circuit using boiling water, ambient temp, and versus a commercial egt gauge. It works very well- for anybody else reading the AD595 chip does have cold junction correction built in.

I'm an engineering student and I love building my own sensors / circuits / whatever, its somewhat of a hobby for me.

edyocdtt

Postby edyocdtt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am

Hey Chief

A COLD JUNCTION Compensation circuit, what is it good for?

Edy

master chief wrote:Yes - the EGT Guage/AMP i linked to, has an output for use with aftermarket ECU's like the Haltech.
Go to the link, and read the specs.

I have allso built the above circuit (or simmilar anyway), and used it for some time now, to be able to log my Autometer EGT, on my Greddy E01, and it works just fine.
The thing is, that Although it works fine for me, i would like something more trustworthy, to tune by - so i would go for something ready made.

Make sure though, that whatever device you go for, has a COLD JUNCTION Compensation sircuit, built into it.

master chief

Postby master chief » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:49 pm

An EGT Type K sensor - AKA ThermoCoupler is a sensor that measure temperature by generating a small voltage signal proportional to the temperature difference between the junctions of two dissimilar metals. One junction (the hot junction) is typically encased in a sensor probe at the point of measurement; the other junction (the cold junction) is connected to the measuring instrument. The measurement instrument measures the voltage signal and the cold junction temperature then computes the temperature.

Basicly, two types of metal, squeezed togheter, when heated create an electric voltage.
Ecah additional metal to metal connection, on the wires runing from the Sensor, will add a little bit more of voltage, to the voltage created from the sensor - in this way, by the time the voltage gets from the sensor to the output amp. or device, the true reading is corrupted.
A builtin circuit on the device that recives the signal from the sensor, is needed to comensate for the connections of the sensor to the device (wich are metal to metal) - to read the right voltage as the sensor outputs.

Usualy all the Temp reading devices, like EGT's, IAT's and so on - use on type of the TYPE K sensor, or the other - and most implement the AD595 Chip, wich as stated above, already has the Cold Junction circuit , buitl in.

edyocdtt

Postby edyocdtt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 pm

Thank you very much for the explanation Chief!!

By the way, i just got a reply from AIM XML Dash support and the they said i can connect directly the probe LMS_689 linked, no need of an amp. This way i will be able to display the info and trigger the alarm, but the logging will be done on the dah not on the haltech. well, by one side it´s easier using the probe on the dash, other way i will have to look and 2 log´s....

Thank you guys very much for your help!!!!

Edy

master chief wrote:An EGT Type K sensor - AKA ThermoCoupler is a sensor that measure temperature by generating a small voltage signal proportional to the temperature difference between the junctions of two dissimilar metals. One junction (the hot junction) is typically encased in a sensor probe at the point of measurement; the other junction (the cold junction) is connected to the measuring instrument. The measurement instrument measures the voltage signal and the cold junction temperature then computes the temperature.

Basicly, two types of metal, squeezed togheter, when heated create an electric voltage.
Ecah additional metal to metal connection, on the wires runing from the Sensor, will add a little bit more of voltage, to the voltage created from the sensor - in this way, by the time the voltage gets from the sensor to the output amp. or device, the true reading is corrupted.
A builtin circuit on the device that recives the signal from the sensor, is needed to comensate for the connections of the sensor to the device (wich are metal to metal) - to read the right voltage as the sensor outputs.

Usualy all the Temp reading devices, like EGT's, IAT's and so on - use on type of the TYPE K sensor, or the other - and most implement the AD595 Chip, wich as stated above, already has the Cold Junction circuit , buitl in.

master chief

Postby master chief » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:27 am

I know that the Haltech, can output any input it has, to the XML dash - so i would sugest using an AMP/DEVICE with analouge output, like the above - to connect it to the Haltech - and use the XML dash, to simply show the info.

You can allso check out PLXDEVICES.com - they sell an AMP with EGT - no display - just for this.

I still think that the first EGT linked in this tread, is Faster and better.

If you have the EGT connected to the Haltech, you can use the Haltech to adjust the fuel maps, according by it - wich is a plus.

Remeber - your first target should be to have the appropiate tools for tuning - and after that for watching etc...

My 2Cents, anyway.

edyocdtt

Postby edyocdtt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:34 am

Cheif

I cant agree more, the probe linked is the best! i just want to have some information about whats going on inside the engine, my engine will be a 1000+HP turbocharged engine. A friend of mine said to put 6 probes (one for echa cylinder before the turbocharger) and use a multiple egt gauge (which already have the amp). One single egt will give me the reading of all cylinders, one can be very rich and other very lean, and the reading will be ok! but the lean one will be melting the piston... well i guess he has a point there! sure the dash nor the haltech will display/log the info. I've found some multiple EGT controllers, some with log, some with alarms. well, i need to "google"more for what is available. This thread gave me some really good directions of what to look for!

Edy

master chief wrote:I know that the Haltech, can output any input it has, to the XML dash - so i would sugest using an AMP/DEVICE with analouge output, like the above - to connect it to the Haltech - and use the XML dash, to simply show the info.

You can allso check out PLXDEVICES.com - they sell an AMP with EGT - no display - just for this.

I still think that the first EGT linked in this tread, is Faster and better.

If you have the EGT connected to the Haltech, you can use the Haltech to adjust the fuel maps, according by it - wich is a plus.

Remeber - your first target should be to have the appropiate tools for tuning - and after that for watching etc...

My 2Cents, anyway.

Alternating

Postby Alternating » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 am

Reviving an old thread because the PLX + amp does not seem to be working for me.

Anyone that has been able to get this to work using PLX egt + haltech 1500 elite series please respond as i'm getting some wonky numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXbBojwgVeA

Return to “E11v2/E8”