HalwinX for ANY version of Windows

You may think im NUTS

HalwinX for ANY version of Windows

Postby You may think im NUTS » Sun May 24, 2015 1:53 am

YES YOU READ IT CORRECTLY - HALWINX v1.26 ON ANY VERSION OF WINDOWS

So I got FULLY fed up with having to swap back and forth between laptops every time I wanted to do some tuning on my E6X ECU and decided to find out why HalwinX does not want to install on any OS newer than XP so I sat down and started to decompile the setup files to see why (there is a high likelihood that the original license agreement forbids me from doing this but too late its already done).

Turns out that the only reason I can see it wont install on anything newer than XP is because the installer program is not compatible with anything higher than XP and that's about it. Granted the Help files don't load but you can load these manually from the program files\haltech\halwinx v1.26\help folder by double clicking on the Haltech.chm file so that's that one solved.

When you install this version you get an initial warning about the install being created with an eval version on InstallSheild that's because I am not going to pay for it when this little project will be the only one I ever use it for.

Other than that everything works just fine. I have only tried it with the E6X and I dont know if when my InstallShield trial expires the install will fail but if it does I have another solution so just PM me and I can tell you how to get around it.

I have recompiled everything to the correct location all the way down to the pointless registry keys that do absolutely nothing but they were in the original so there in this version - The software is not mine, so I did not change it. All I did was update the installer, SERIOUSLY THAT'S ALL I DID

Now some proof for the doubters:

Installed on Win7 64Bit

proof1.JPG

Installed on Win 8.1 64Bit - Surface Pro

Win8.JPG

Now because these forums place a REALLY tiny upload limit on posts i have to do the old Cloud Storage link so here it is:

UPDATED DEC 2016
The whole auto installer thing fell off the priority list so just download .zip from below link, extract and run from that folder.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al0Ev9CIcTyYgZxWI3hVRQb6jdO-zg - I promise this software has no nasty's included and that I will guarantee.

I will do my up most to keep this link live but if it is down just PM me and I will fix the issue whatever it may be.... Enjoy.

P,S. The usual I am not responsible for anything to do with this post or the software that this post links to guff applies.

HaltechMitch
Haltech Staff

Re: HalwinX for ANY version of Windows

Postby HaltechMitch » Mon May 25, 2015 10:55 am

Well done on taking the initiative to work this out yourself.

Really you just need to replace the 16-bit Installsheild setup.exe with a 32-bit version and it will then install on any version of windows.

Here's a thread from 2009 with the final post linking the exact file you need: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3489&hilit=+setup32

You may think im NUTS

Re: HalwinX for ANY version of Windows

Postby You may think im NUTS » Fri May 29, 2015 3:43 pm

So I have to ask the question of a Haltech staff member.

With so many posts on forums all over the GoogleNet about how to get HalwinX working on OS later than XP and all the posts about connection issues etc and Haltech having Software, Firmware and Technical Engineers on the pay roll why has Haltech not simply updated the installer themselves (considering they must have licenses for the installer software) and updated the software in the downloads section?

It only took me an hour and a half to create the one above and I had no idea what I was doing when I started so a Software Engineer could knock it out in like 20mins.

I vote you request it gets done offically.

Return to “E6X/E6GMX/F10X”