Coil on Plug

cooper02

Coil on Plug

Postby cooper02 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi,
I have a 1275 turbo mini running a twin cam head using an E6X with sequential injection & wasted spark ignition (4 x LS1 coils). I am looking at changing to coil on plugs & am thinking of running N16 Pulsar coils. How do you know if they have built in ignitors? Do all COP's with 3 & 4 wires have ignitors? Is there any drawbacks with running inbuilt ignitors rather than external? I am still looking for a coil that has the correct height for this fitment. Is there any difference other than physical dimensions or would some be more suitable for turbo applications?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Tony

HoSDo_earth

Re: Coil on Plug

Postby HoSDo_earth » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:25 pm

When I was upgrading my ignition system on my FIAT Fire engine, we thought that the OEM 3 wire Coils had the built in ignitor but we were wrong. So basically I studied a bit and it ended that "USUALLY" 3 wire coils do not have built in ignitors while 4 wire coils have it. Usually an external ignition module could be properly (read better) cooled by using a large heat exchanger like a CPU heat sink; built in ignitors could suffer temperature issues on a high tuned engine. Honestly my BERU OEM coils (that everyone always considered junk) are holding together from 25000 km with daily / trackday use and I'm quite pleased by this.
When you shift the gear and the needle on the tacho goes on red and scores 9000 rpm, that's bad...

Return to “E6X/E6GMX/F10X”