Platinum Interceptor CAN BUS

robbith

Platinum Interceptor CAN BUS

Postby robbith » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:15 am

Hi guys.

Was wondering if anyone has managed to receive CAN messages from the interceptor?

I'm working on an LCD type gauge and my preference is to read sensor information from the interceptor's CAN BUS rather than tapping into all of the sensors individually. Problem is, I can't seem to get any data out of the interceptor.

I haven't had a chance to hook up the scope and check the signal, but voltage across CAN HI and CAN LO (pins 5 & 21) gives zero which is unusual. I would expect to see a difference of about 1.5v (albeit inconsistent) if there was activity. I've been able to test this theory by outputting CAN messages from another device and measuring the voltage difference, which is about 1.5 when active and zero when idle.

I've read the Haltech CAN v1.1 specifications and can see that not all of the data specified can be output by the interceptor as it's not captured eg. AFR). But, I'm assuming it will output the data that it does capture (eg. MAP), and other values will be zero or empty, or just not sent.

So my question really is - am I barking up the wrong tree? Is the interceptor configured to output CAN data to be useful in this instance? Or do the pins exist for some other reason and no data is actually output? I'm assuming it is just continually output and that no request is required?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Platinum Interceptor CAN BUS

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:55 am

I was not even aware of the Interceptor having CAN, and upon checking yes the Platinum version added it but the older full size version did not. I don't believe any support was added for it in software/firmware though. The idea would have been to support TCA and WBC add-ons but this does not appear to have eventuated.

robbith

Re: Platinum Interceptor CAN BUS

Postby robbith » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:33 am

Bugger.

Well - all hope is not lost. I don't suppose there's any doco floating around with any information on the serial communication? Data logging via PC all comes through serial so that's another option of I can't get anything out via CAN BUS.

Return to “Interceptor”