Sti 99' Install

jasaircraft

Sti 99' Install

Postby jasaircraft » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi all,
I'm in the process of installing an Interceptor for a client, I've done all the wiring being very carefull at it I use 4 connectors (2 from the stock wiring and 2 for the Interceptor) in order to be able to just remove the Interceptor and plug the other connectors, which by the way works fine with no trouble codes. Today I started the car and I had the Check engine light. Two Codes 44 and 45 ie MAP sensor and Boost control Solenoid.
I set my MAP into Analogue 3 input to the correct pin in the Interceptor and the Analog output3 to the stock ECU, should I have done it through Digi In 2 (digital freq)?
And about the boost control solenoid code, I did it per recomendation in another post of this forum of course (Use DigOut3 to Solenoid and DigOut4 set to pull up to ecu).
Tomorrow I'll also try and giving it a power supply before ign, ie Accesories.

Any suggestions? could this need just setting of the MAP sensor1 voltages?
Other setup for the boost control solenoid?
regards,
jose
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Re: Sti 99' Install

Postby jasaircraft » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Ok today I recheked and apparently it was a test input issue, I didnt get the codes after the change.
Now I have two other problems though:
I get boost cut: Wiring is alright AnIn3 from sensor and AnOut to stock ecu. Now I'm not sure if its my clamp values whats wrong or what, I datalogged MAP and its a crazy up and down signal that reads -0.8 all the time even though you can see spikes. Any suggestions?

I cant get it to boost more than stock: Wiring is correct too, Dig3Out for Boost Ctrl Sol. and DigOut4 for ecu.
I am stuck on about 60kpa over atmo pressure. I will post my settings, any Suggestions?
best regards,
joe
Making people fly!

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 pm

I have had that issue when reflashing a Version7 WRX. I suspect they build in a mechanical limitation into the boost control, like a pill in the vac/bleed line or similar so even if set to 100% duty it will still only run a certain max boost. Something to check, but I may be wrong as I never had time to check further.

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:14 am

Hi,
Ok good news, it turned out to be the MAP sensor's hose that got loose after the first pull, I've put silicone on the border of all hoses that could get loose plus some wire torn around it(dont have anything else at hand for the moment), its small enough not too look bad hehe. Also the datalogs now show good MAP signal reading in PSI.
I now have no boost cut.
I now can control boost. Currently set to its aprox max (ie what the wastegate can do) which is about 18-20psi.

I had another cut though that I figured while testing. For all people out there, check your Rev Limiter setup, although I had it set to "None" in the input source place, it still affected. I obviously upped the revlimit to 7k.

Also for anyone mapping out there on a Sti 99' (also other subbies must be around the same) using around 93 oct (according to our not so trusthfull national refinery company. It will Detonate at around 4500-5000rpm @ 120-135kpa. Loud and clear trusth me. Now I will check if I'm breathing in oil and so degrading my Oct rating but I doubt it since last time I checked intercooler was "dry".
Also maybe it is too advanced in the stock map. (no mods to any of the maps yet).
regards,
joe
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:47 am

Now something else, when I start making changes in the fuel map, I understand it will also affect my timming right?
If I changes in my timming will it affect my fueling too?
Calling the Gurus here!!!

Ok also in the area of around 4000-5000 and 18-20psi rpm, where I was encountering knock (couldnt hear it in the last adjustments) I have a slight problem. I encountered something like a missfire, slight hesitation due to the retarding adjustments I did on the map or not good enough ignition.
Now this little missfire happened on 4th gear not exactly sure where but I was looking at the tach and I think it was at 4krpm.
All my previous tests where on 3rd gear, so 4th encountered a high load cell with too much retard on a slightly lower rpm than in 3rd, ergo my missfire.

After the missfire my check engine lit with MAP and boost ctrl sol. codes and I get boost cut.
Now what I'm not so sure is wether the check engine light lit because of that single missfire or by the accumulated knock counts in a certain distance or time.
I will check in a moment, I'ts not nice to street-tune at night, traffic, and other dangers.
Can anyone spare a dyno? hahahah
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:00 pm

something else, does anyone know how to setup the road speed issue on the interceptor? I dont have a good signal according to my logs and I'm getting a cut and the ecu gives code 33 which is speed sensor. Anyone?

EDIT: Even though as it seems I'm talking to myself its good to have this written down. Apparently the code and subsequent random cut only shows up whenever you have a previous missfire and not necessarily because of going past the top speed or by having an unstable signal.
For instance I was having a little missfire on some areas of the ignition map because I used a tad less advance (retarded) than what the ignition could cope with so the code came up after that missfire, we reset the stock ecu to clear the codes and then advanced a tad the cells where we had that issue, no more codes nor cuts. Then we tested a launch from standing still but the driver revd it to the limiter (7krpm) and of course its like a missfire (fuel total cut), inmediately we had the check engine light with the 33 code (VSS)... WEIRD ISHT
Hope this trial and error experiences and solutions are helpfull to someone else out there who's had the same issues.
Joe Tuner...Keep tuning
Making people fly!

Robbks

Postby Robbks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am

All turbo subies have a restrictor pill (~0.9mm) in the line from the compressor outlet.
make sure this is always in place if using the stock boost control system.
otherwise just chuck out the stock solenoid and use a 3-port.

the Early (<MY01) stock ECU's also love to go into "limp mode" after a big mis-fire/ det event (rev limiter) and as such, all my subies have had the reset/ read plugs connected to two switches to make ECU resets much faster and easier.

"Vosadrian" has made a number of posts on boost control setup for Subaru's (interceptor especially) and can be found with a quick search.

i also had a lot of boost cut issues with my TT legacy and have found that i need to have the clamp limits much lower than the stock ECU's boost cut for it to work properly.
my stock ECU is designed to boost cut at 17PSI, so my original clamp was set at 15psi. it still managed to cause boost cut so i had to lower it to 12psi to stop it from interrupting the fun.

Code33
speed sensor, obviously the engine rpm's and cut-out weren't consistent with the expected/ sensed road-speed so it had a fit.
they just love throwing random trouble codes anytime something unexpected goes on

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:14 pm

jasaircraft wrote:EDIT: Even though as it seems I'm talking to myself its good to have this written down.

you aren't, I watch all topics in case I learn something. I just can't always offer anything useful ;)

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:01 pm

thanks a lot for the suggestions, yeah today was rally racing weekend so I couldnt advanve much on this street sti. The owner went racing with it today, he had a little missfire which inmediately threw code 12, Starter issue?¡¿ hehe, So I guess what you say is right, the stock ecus are like... "check your filangy or something.." hahhaa.
Tomorrow we'll erase that missfire by advancing it just a tad or by closing the plugs just a tenth of mm and then start with the meth/avgas map... any suggestions for it? One of the things I'm also unsure of is:
If you reduce injection % which also affects timming (advancing it)... well you have to compensate that increased timming by retarding it in the very same condition cells, but in what proportions?
regards,
joe
Making people fly!

Robbks

Postby Robbks » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 am

jasaircraft wrote:One of the things I'm also unsure of is:
If you reduce injection % which also affects timming (advancing it)... well you have to compensate that increased timming by retarding it in the very same condition cells, but in what proportions?
regards,
joe

basically, it would all come down to MBT measured on a dyno/ acceleration times

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:03 am

Ok good news, the cut is definately VSS related, I wired the VSS per stock and I have no cuts now. Now of course it would be great to know how to setup the VSS in the software to defeat the limiter.
Making people fly!

Robbks

Postby Robbks » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:18 am

jasaircraft wrote:Ok good news, the cut is definately VSS related, I wired the VSS per stock and I have no cuts now. Now of course it would be great to know how to setup the VSS in the software to defeat the limiter.

send a PM to Adrian
"vosadrian"

i would also like to know this

i suspect it is as simple as configuring one of the dig-inputs correctly for the Subaru VSS and intercepting that signal
then you'd need to connect the relevant DIG-output to the ECU side and set the "road speed limit" to a lower value than that of the stock ECU.

however, i do not know what issue the stock ECU may find with increasing rpm and a "constant" road speed?

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Ok, today my client went racing, we had no more cut since we put the VSS per stock. We did reach 180km/h but maybe we had to go further to get to the limiter.
When I had the VSS wired through the interceptor I had the limiter higher and afterwards lower than the stock's supposedly 180km/h limit to see if that helped but none. Its gotta be the setup on the frequ. cycles, etc.
The MY99 is supposedly supported and its basemap should have this already solved, but I guess thats life. I'm writting to Adrian linking this thread so he can help us.
regards,
Making people fly!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi All,

The VSS should be cut and sensor side to spare digital input, and ECU side to Spare digital output. You then configure the roadspeed digital input to the input you used. Set the datalogging up to display roadspeed, and adjust the roadspeed input parameters until roadspeed matches the speedo (in kph). then set the roadspeed output clamp for below the limitter, and it will clamp the output. This is a generic feature not specific to Subaru. It should work, but different ECUs may respond differently to clamped roadspeed.

Cheers,

Adrian

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 am

Hi Adrian, well I already tried all that, I just couldnt get it to match the speedo exactly and also consistently, I had spikes here and there just not a stable signal so probably why I had the code 33(VSS). There must be a setup exclusive for the subaru that I just couldnt get in the ballpark.
Anyone using this succesfully on a subbie?
Making people fly!

Return to “Interceptor”