Getting DOS/HalwinX/Halwin to work on 64bit Machines!!

Claudio

Getting DOS/HalwinX/Halwin to work on 64bit Machines!!

Postby Claudio » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:06 am

Attention Haltech Shoppers! Do you still have an older Haltech ECU? Having a hard time finding an older XP laptop that works and has a serial port on it? Well hold on to your hats and get ready, here's a step by step guide to getting those older programs to work with newer laptops, this includes Win7, 8 and 10.

First you will need the following:

A Windows 7, 8 or 10 64bit machine without a serial port. There's no need for a 32bit only machine, as this lets you get this working properly on 64 bit with no problems.
A USB to Serial Adapter, Haltech sells a good one and you can also get the Keyspan USA-19HS which is also very good.
An older Haltech ECU: E8/E11/E6X/F10X.
Dos box for the older DOS software, there is a whole thread on this here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1817
What ever version of Halwin you need will be found here: http://www.haltech.com/downloads-2/previous-products/
And finally you will need this Setup32.exe file found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JgyaXs ... sp=sharing

Step 1
Download your Halwin software and extract all the files form the downloaded ZIP file.

Step 2
Save the Setup32.exe file in your Install Files folder and rename the original one to OLDSetup.exe so you dont use it anymore.

Step 3
Right click on the Setup32.exe and tell windows to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, follow normal installation steps until its finished.

Step 4
The installer will NOT create shortcut icons so you will need to go into your Program Folder [not the (x86) one] then Haltech / HalwinV1.89 and right click on the HalwinV1.89.exe file and hit "Send To Desktop Create Shortcut". Do this for all the other programs you install.

Step 5
Once the program shortcut is in the desktop, right click on it and go to Properties, Compatibility, and check the option to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, and set compatibility to XP.

Step 6
Go to your Device Manager, connect your USB to serial adapter, find it under PORTS, COM LPT, double click on it, go into the Ports Settings Tab, set your bits per second to 57600 for E8/E11 and 19200 for E6X/F10X, then hit Advanced and change the port number to Com1, dont worry if its in use, just select it.

Step 7
Restart your laptop and now you should be able to run the programs with no problems and communicate with your older systems.

EDIT AUG 25 2015
Here's and easier way to get this done, just download the software package with the Setup32.exe file already in it and just install it as you normally would. NOTE, to install properly PLEASE RIGHT CLICK the SETUP32.EXE file and hit RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Once you install the programs, go to STEP 4.

Halwin 1.89 for E8/E11
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tk_AFA ... sp=sharing

HalwinX 1.26 for E6X/F10X/E6GMX
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJ8CcW ... sp=sharing

Enjoy.

UPDATE:
FYI, here are 2 of the most effective and highly recommended USB to Serial adapters we can suggest you use with ese.

And the Haltech (Prolific) Unit
Haltech USB To Serial Adapter via our Webstore

And the Keyspan USA-19HS
Keyspan USA-19HS via tuningtechnology.net

Attachments
Halwin 1.89 Working on 64bits.png
Claudio
tuningtechnology@gmail.com
Independant Haltech Sales & Tech Support

racingka

Re: Getting DOS/HalwinX/Halwin to work on 64bit Machines!!

Postby racingka » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:25 am

Thank You Claudio!

I have running E6X over 10 years with old XP Dell without battery and now can use Win 8.1
I just followed Your instructions and it works perfectly, great!

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:44 am

Awesome! Glad to hear it went smoothly!
Claudio

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:07 am

Admins, can this thread be sticky'd please!?
Claudio

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 am

Done 8)

Pitahh

Postby Pitahh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi I hope you can help. Have you a way to download F10X to Windows 10?

BoostedOne

Postby BoostedOne » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:53 am

Oh my, you are the man and a life saver!!!!

My old XP laptop died, and all I have is my work comp which is 64 bit Win7. Been screwing with it off and on for a few weeks trying to get Halwin on it.

Hoping to not have an issue with the USB converter and com, wont know til I get home and plug everything into the car. But just getting the program running is a step in the right direction for sure! And I use that USB converter for other stuff on this machine already.

THanks again for making this so easy!

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 am

Glad i can help.
Claudio

Sujan Singh

Postby Sujan Singh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Attention Haltech Shoppers! Do you still have an older Haltech ECU? Having a hard time finding an older XP laptop that works and has a serial port on it? Well hold on to your hats and get ready, here's a step by step guide to getting those older programs to work with newer laptops, this includes Win7, 8 and 10.

Return to “Old Engine Management Systems”