E6K and CA18DE configuration help

jasaircraft

Re: E6K and CA18DE configuration help

Postby jasaircraft » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:49 am

Im not sure exactly what I did but managed to get communications back, I wired from an external 12v, earths, and direct comms from the pins (8/9) to the serial cable, and the map loaded, I then changed a couple of settings and powered on/off and saved the file with a different name, deleted all other maps too, and now its working fine with its own plug and vehicles 12v and earths... really confused
I just pray it wont do that again... was about to ship it over to the US
Making people fly!

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 am

E6K's have not been repairable for a few years now. Lucky you solved it!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:09 am

Hi Matt,
well today I resumed the project and wanted to go online, and its doing it again :evil:

have you guys found any reasons that are not so obvious for comm problems?
I tried the external 12v and earth with pin directly to the serial cable and nothing.

sometimes when moving one of the earths a bit it wants to load but then doesnt.
It says "incorrect programer install later version" or soemthing like that, system series 51 and sometimes 254.... ¿¿¿

I bought this ecu years ago, when I thought I could use it someday, now that the day has arrived, a simple problem like this wont let me use it.

I read somewhere the comm chip could be bad? could replacing it fix the issue? I see the "Sipex sp233act" chip is the comm chip, could using the same or an alternative (which I see max233acwp seems a good candidate?) fix the issue?
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:42 pm

So i removed the ecu from the vehicle and took it to my workdesk made some wires and pins to directly connect 12v (25), ground(26,32), rx,tx(8,9) and it connects now, although i still cannot upload a map ("reconnect haltech" blinks and progress bar wont move) and when making changes live many times it looses connection.

So what could be the difference between the workdesk and the vehicle?
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 am

I went back to the vehicle and cleaned my battery terminals, which werent that dirty anyways, and now it has connection, i was thinking of giving it a direct 12v d grund but its now communicating ok, we'll see if it keeps like that tomorrow
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 am

ok so today i had good connection, everything in order and attempted to start the engine, gave like 4 to 5 cranks and it missfired even though the first attempt a week back was good (engine started), and now the ecu is dead, it wont connect, nor give out spark or inj pulse, i cheked grounds and 12v are there and they are.
Tried connecting directly like i did before from an external 12v source and ground and nothing. So i think im just going to have to accept a 500 dollar brick and order some other ecu.

EDIT after reading around it seems when battery voltage drops a bit this happens, so I tried putting 15v external and it now syncs, thats very crappy because battery was still giving good cranking just not as good as from the first attempts...
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 pm

After some tuning i now have a better map, i have noticed that some cells dont want to accept values i set but a couple of fixed values, a sort of bug.
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:01 am

Y couldnt really solve the connectivity problems, some days it will connect and sme wont no matter what... it would be a nice investigation issue if there are any good electronic technicians out there that could research this matter, just for the sakeof knowing what was this ecus defect from birth

EDIT: just swapped serial cables to a thicker one and it connected... I HOPE this is the last time it gives me headaches... :evil:

Double EDIT: its not the cable... its failing to connect again :/

Triple EDIT: swapped to the first serial cable and it connected... im suspecting bad contacts there
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:50 am

Communications issue is still bothering, some days it does connect and some other it wont, tried different laptops, serial cables, direct feeding of 12v, earths, comms...
For some reason the first 2 or 3 seconds of the key being in the IGN position is when the ecu tries to connect and the progress bar moves a bit, but then it just halts.

Could maybe upgrading the comm chip solve it? What chips would be recommended? what is the difference between the first 2 or 3 seconds of 12v to after that? very strange behaviour.

Whou could we consult this? maybe someone knows the haltech guys that used to service these ecus? The car is runnig great, its just this issue that is bothering me.
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:15 am

Just in case anyone out there is having the same problems and wants to give a try on changing the communications chip on their e6k or e6x (i think E series use these too).

The factory chip is a Sipex SP233ACT

I tried looking for one or its alternative chips here and couldnt find any, so I ordered from ebay Sipex SP233ACT-L ( I believe ther are the same)

The possible alternatives I found are:

Maxim max233acwp

Intersil HIN233ACB
Making people fly!

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Sun May 08, 2016 10:29 am

What a bad luck, the sipex 233act-L chip wont even attempt to connect as the original chip did.
The ic notch is in the correct side... damn ...
Can anyone locate a website i could find the exact same chips to buy?
Making people fly!

Return to “Old Engine Management Systems”