PC Connection To Older Haltech ECU's

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

PC Connection To Older Haltech ECU's

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:12 pm

If you are not using DOS BOX, as has been already covered in another sticky, there are some things you should know before attempting to connect to our older systems.

If you have one of the following:

F3
F7
F9
F10
E5
E6
E6A
E6S
E6K
E6H
E6M
E6GM

The only direct way to connect to these ECU's is to use a PC with a serial port built in, and using either DOS, Windows95, Windows98, or Windows98SE. If you have Windows ME, Windows2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will not be able to communicate directly. USB-Serial convertors will not communicate even if the software does open.

This is something that Microsoft changed in the IO.SYS file that they began distributing with Windows ME and all future version. Microsoft no longer allowed software to directly control the serial port. All serial connections went through the operating system and this is where the problems began. This happened AFTER the software for these ECU's was written.

The E6X, F10X, and E6GMX systems all communicate with any type of windows 32-bit operating system with HalwinX software.
The E8 and E11v2 communicate with any type of windows 32-bit operating system with Halwin software.
All Interceptor variants work with any type of windows 32-bit operating system with specific Interceptor software.
The Platinum range of ECU's work with all Windows systems and communicate with ECU Manager software.

Windows 98SE is the pick. It still allows direct serial port control with DOS, and also was the first OS that had USB support, although drivers are needed for each device including USB Memory Keys.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: PC Connection To Older Haltech ECU's

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Found this regarding the change from Windows 98 to all future editions of Windows. It was on Wikipedia, so it must be true! :roll:

Removed Feature: Real mode DOS

One of the most publicized changes from Windows 98 is that Windows ME does not include real mode MS-DOS.[6] According to Microsoft, with real mode support removed, Windows ME could potentially have faster reliable boot performance.[14]

The Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files are no longer read or executed during startup by IO.SYS. The command shell command.com is not executed and win.com is bypassed by direct execution of VMM32.VXD from IO.SYS. Because of these changes, the system can neither boot into an MS-DOS command prompt nor exit to DOS from Windows. Real mode drivers, such as ansi.sys cannot be loaded and older applications that require real mode do not run.

In Windows ME, the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files are used only to set global environment variables. The two files (if present) are scanned for settings relating to the environment variables, and any other commands present are removed into a Windows registry key (see below). The two files thus contain only settings and preferences which configure the "global environment" for the computer during the boot phase or when starting a new MS-DOS Virtual Machine (VM).

So in other words, the serial port is not directly controlled by DOS, so it does not communicate correctly anymore.

There you have it...

johntheakstone

Postby johntheakstone » Fri May 16, 2014 7:46 am

Mathew do u have a standard base map for a audi s3 bam running a e6k cheers john

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Wrong section.

No. Sorry we only have a very narrow range of base maps for older ECUs (E6K is around 15 years old) and I cannot even open the software with the PCs I have here. None for any VAG vehicles.

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

I have windows 7 32bits, and NO serial ports,and using DosBox i have ZERO issues controlling older ECU's. If anybody needs a lesson in DOS and how to connect old ECU's using modern laptops and windows 7, shoot me an email.

BUT! If you do, please be aware that this support IS NOT FREE! I charge for support on any system that i have not provided personally.

Its a small price to pay, but you will get the best information possible.

Otherwise, there are a couple of post here in the forum which explain what to do.

Check this one out first >>>>> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1817
Claudio
tuningtechnology@gmail.com
Independant Haltech Sales & Tech Support

WidebodyWoody

Postby WidebodyWoody » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:30 am

I use Dos Box with my E6K software. Setting it up is super easy.

Sujan Singh

Postby Sujan Singh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:39 am

The only direct way to connect to these ECU's is to use a PC with a serial port built in, and using either DOS, Windows95, Windows98, or Windows98SE. If you have Windows ME, Windows2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will not be able to communicate directly. USB-Serial convertors will not communicate even if the software does open

Hodgdon extreme

Postby Hodgdon extreme » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:13 am

Here is a link to a zip folder on my google drive with every software version Haltech has for the E6K:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I4n2MJ0ZC2ImqWUsaw9h5OYmDzvdc12G/view?usp=sharing

In my case, the used car I purchased with E6K had been updated to firmware version 7.17 and I was unable to connect until I had matching software on my PC.

I can now connect via an old win98 IBM Thinkpad, as well as a winXP machine using DOSbox

Hope this helps!

Return to “Old Engine Management Systems”