Controlling Boost with BOV and Wastegate

Just2FasTT

Controlling Boost with BOV and Wastegate

Postby Just2FasTT » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:03 am

Hey, i am running a GTX3076R on an Audi 1.8T. Everything is built to spool up early and now i have big surging problems.

This means my turbo is spooling early enough but my engine cant take enough airmass. At this point i have to apply less dutycycle to the wastegate solenoid to prevent surging and turbo damage.

So now what if i would use a second solenoid to regulate/lower the pressure that is on top of the BOV and create a conditional switch (RPM maybe 4500) to change between used solenoid. Now i would waste some airmass, wastegate stays closed and the turbo could do much more presure at lower RPM, to prevent overspooling i would use the wastegate again at higher RPM. Of course closed loop would need diffrent PID values but i think long term would work on.

I have never seen such a combination or even BOV controlled boost. Do you think this could work? A calculated turbo RPM would be great.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Controlling Boost with BOV and Wastegate

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:40 pm

You could use it, or just turn the boost down to match the maximum air flow. If it is surging you will be not making the bet power there anyway in most cases. Or go up a size in the turbine housing.

Return to “Tuning Discussions”