Exhaust Cam Control

wrxt4cy

Exhaust Cam Control

Postby wrxt4cy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 am

I have a simple question that I cannot seem to find an answer for.

When dealing with dual cam control and considering exhaust cams that move in the retard direction, should be targets be positive or negative? I don't know if I am asking for target degrees of retard or target degrees of negative advance. Different ECUs and OEMs seem to define it differently and I can't seem to find what Haltech expects since we can use positive or negative values. In my settings I have it specified that the exhaust cam moves in the retard direction. Just wondering what to expect before I load my first base map up.

Thanks!

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Exhaust Cam Control

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:17 pm

We can do either advance or retard, but it will depend on the hardware that the OEM uses as to which way it goes. You will know very quickly which way the hardware pushes the cam when you start to tune it.

wrxt4cy

Postby wrxt4cy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:49 am

I know you can do either one and my exhaust cams move in the retard direction.

What I am asking is, in the software, if i have setup my exhaust cam and specified that it moves retarded, does the target table want me to use negative targets to express negative advance or use positive values to express positive retard.

I'm sure worst case it will simple not move the cam if I have it wrong but I wanted to know what to expect before I start testing. Everything is in the software is easy to figure out and know what to expect on but this aspect can vary from ECU to ECU and I don't see any tips or notes on how Haltech does it.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 am

Retard will be negative numbers, and it will simply not move the cam if you enter numbers in the wrong direction.

Return to “Tuning Discussions”