Launch control and slipper clutches...

blakebonkofsky

Launch control and slipper clutches...

Postby blakebonkofsky » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 am

I'll be the first to admit this IS my first rodeo with a clutch car of this caliber. Setup is a tube chassis RWD Honda, GForce GF5R clutchless shift trans, turbo 4 cylinder. Running a triple disc Boninfante clutch.

The car utilizes a hydraulic throw out bearing and a line lock solenoid to hold the clutch with a button. Push clutch in, press button, take foot off clutch and let go when the tree drops.

The problem we are running into is getting launch control and clutch engagement sync'd together. When I tie the launch control into the clutch release button, the launch control disengages before the clutch starts to grab, resulting in a big spike in RPM. Starting at 6000, it spikes to almost 9000rpm before the clutch grabs, and then it's got so much centrifugal force that it's practically instant lockup, resulting in wheel spin or tire shake.

I've also tried triggering launch control off of vehicle speed, but unfortunately this has the opposite problem. It takes a good 2-3 tenths of a second to register speed, meanwhile the engine has bogged down to 2500-3500rpm and sometimes even dies before the launch control releases.

I've got a couple other setups I want to try, but I'm curious how other people are setting this up? With an auto car, you've already got load from the torque converter, and with a conventional clutch, you're slipping it with your left foot, so the instant reaction or delay is less of a problem. If you prefer to keep your setup private, feel free to email or PM me.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Launch control and slipper clutches...

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Use a timer

blakebonkofsky

Re: Launch control and slipper clutches...

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:09 pm

That's what we are going to try next, unfortunately the launch control function itself cannot be triggered by a timer because of it's limited input options. I've recreated launch control using the rev limiter, timing correction, and fuel correction, but it's not as clean cut. We made some adjustments to the clutch pedal travel, hoping the combination of the two helps the issue. Trying to get this thing qualified for World Cup this year!

Return to “Tuning Discussions”