Touchscreen compatible software

Ignition

Touchscreen compatible software

Postby Ignition » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:24 am

With devices like this (Youtube Link) coming out, and space between my belly and the steering wheel at a premium, I could see tuning software for use with a touchscreen device like a tablet being popular.

I wold use it. The key would be making it so you don't bump settings and stuff unintentionally. I am not sure of the ideal way to implement it, perhaps with an up/down button on one side or a slider +/- ...not sure, but been thinking about this for a bit and think it may be worth investigating. Also for use in cars with these mounted as in-car screens like the ipad is in this one, for guage screen etc would be quite trick.

Of course, means more work for the software devs :D

HaltechScott
Haltech Staff

Re: Touchscreen compatible software

Postby HaltechScott » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:49 pm

I personally think this is a great idea - Iphone/Ipad popularity is huge! This could be a great selling point.
Kind Regards
Scott
scott@haltech.com - support@haltech.com
Ph: +612 9729 0999
Please e-mail support directly for earliest reply.

BRN12345

Postby BRN12345 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm

How about a CAN output to hardware bluetooth and then a can have virtual gauges on the itouch!!

niko86

Postby niko86 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 pm

just look at elmcan wlan, you can connect to the device with your iphone via wlan (using the "rev" app) and view the data channels like gauges.
It would be very nice if haltech would implement a similar solution to view sensor data!

Aurélien

Postby Aurélien » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 am

Ignition wrote:With devices like this (Youtube Link) coming out, and space between my belly and the steering wheel at a premium, I could see tuning software for use with a touchscreen device like a tablet being popular.

I wold use it. The key would be making it so you don't bump settings and stuff unintentionally. I am not sure of the ideal way to implement it, perhaps with an up/down button on one side or a slider +/- ...not sure, but been thinking about this for a bit and think it may be worth investigating. Also for use in cars with these mounted as in-car screens like the ipad is in this one, for guage screen etc would be quite trick.

Of course, means more work for the software devs :D

Yeah why not but how to connect your ipad/ msi / whatever to the ecu ?

Using a laptop connected to the ecu and then wifi to tune the ecu with your touchscreen ?

Or maybe use a " bluetooth stuff " directly connected to the ecu ? ( Seems complicated but why not ... ! )
These new technologies are becoming more and more wireless , i don't like that ... :lol:

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 am

I'm not fussed by wireless, however just purchased a netbook for tuning, I checked out a bunch of Windows based Tablet Laptops and was unimpressed to be honest. None had the nice responsiveness and feel like an apple product sadly. Adding a wireless/bluetooth dingle wouldn't be that hard I wouldn't think, perhaps a CAN (or serial) to bluetooth "dongle" might be an idea like Garmin do for OBD2 viewing.

Smasher

Postby Smasher » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:14 am

Guys get the software or app so you can plug in the new Blackberry Playbook. This is the perfect size. I would love to get this for my 350Z. :) http://ca.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/ The playbook has USB or you can go wireless. Suction cup this to the windsheild and get HD video as well since it has built in cameras.

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:57 am

Unfortunately it runs on Blackberry's own OS, so I imagine would be a pain, thinking about the lack of DirectX for display etc...
I far prefer Android as far as different OS' go, being open source and gaining traction on tablets quite quickly.

Smasher

Postby Smasher » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:11 am

This is a very powerfull tablet with QNX technology

Full computing power in a tablet format
1 GHz dual-core processor
1 GB RAM
Symmetric multi-processing

Powerful, user-friendly QNX technology:
it's what the World Wide Web runs on
True multitasking
Proven mission critical reliability
Rapid development environment
Reliable BlackBerry Tablet OS, powered by QNX technology
Supports POSIX OS, SMP, Open GL, BlackBerry® 6, WebKit,
Adobe Flash, Java® and Adobe Mobile AIR

Out-of-the-box compatibility with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
Seamless pairing for a secure window into your BlackBerry® smartphone
3G access via existing BlackBerry smartphone service plan
Corporate data access
Crystal clear HD display
Rich stereo sound
Dual HD video cameras
MP high definition forward-facing camera
5 MP high definition rear-facing camera
Codec support for superior media playback, creation and video calling
1080p HD video; H.264, MPEG4, WMV HDMI video output
Micro USB and Micro HDMI

Secure and manageable

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 am

Smart spammer?

I read the specs. It doesn't run windows, which the Haltech runs on. QNX means squat to me. :wink:
I proprietary OS makes it somewhat of an orphan.

Smasher

Postby Smasher » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 am

Apple doesnt run windows either and as far as i know googles software doesnt.

Smart spammer? Not sure what you mean. I have the Haltech in my Z and would love this add on to the Haltech. I dont think it would be that difficult to make the interface.

QNX is already used in the Automotive feild and RIM bought them.
http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_4063_1.html

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm

That was me checking you weren't making spam posts as I noticed these are your first ones, apologies. :mrgreen:

hmm, that a bit different then... interesting... will have a read after work. A Display/Logging interface I think might be the best application for touchscreen units, as opposed to tuning?

A Display/Logging App/Software ported to IOS/Android/QNX/whatever would be useful I think in any case. Lot of work, especially for someone like me with little to none programming experience. QNX looks like "Infotainment" in OEM applications thus far. Interesting though.

Smasher

Postby Smasher » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:44 pm

np I really think this would be a perfect match. I was thinking about it for a while and mentioned it to my tuner. http://www.SG-motorsport.com He said I should contact Haltec so I thought I would throw it out there.

I thought this link sounded interesting as well.

http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_4376_1.html?rss=1

"The car will feature two systems built on the QNX CAR™ Application Platform, a pre-integrated, standards-based solution designed to reduce the cost and effort of developing in-car infotainment products:

•Multimedia head unit — Demonstrates how in-car infotainment systems can access the latest applications on mobile devices, such as maps for finding restaurants and other POIs, geosocial applications for locating nearby friends, and services for finding the closest available parking spot. Other demo features include Pandora® streaming audio, Webkit browsing, and a reskinnable HMI based on Adobe® Flash® technology.
•Dynamically reconfigurable digital instrument cluster — Features both a driving mode (tachometer and speedometer) and an information mode (weather, navigation information, album art, etc.). "

waltersaegir

Postby waltersaegir » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:52 am

I know this is an old thread, but the issue and idea are even more relevant today.

Can anyone provide a current status update please!

I'm running a E8 on my RX-7 and connecting via serial to my laptop seems limiting. This is especially true in-light of the new touch tablets out there.

Is Halwin likely to support Windows8 or maybe WindowsRT?

CustomCarDesign

Postby CustomCarDesign » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:45 am

HaltechScott wrote:I personally think this is a great idea - Iphone/Ipad popularity is huge! This could be a great selling point.

!!!

Would be great!

Using the ot2 from innovate :) great with the ipad!

Make it real!

I would buy the wifi module for the haltech on the first day of sell :)

Return to “Feature Requests”