WHY NOT OBD ????

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: WHY NOT OBD ????

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri May 01, 2015 4:01 pm

I just made up a cable to go from the CAN port to OBD2, which only needs 12V, Ground, CAN Hi and CAN Lo. Plugged in a cheap OBD2 BT dongle, and also tested with WiFi adapters, and then just ran a common free app on the phone. Works perfectly.

Elite systems do broadcast OBD2 live data on the CAN. The platinum range are not capable of doing this.

Peterson

Postby Peterson » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:39 pm

It would be nice to have an OBD2 connectivity feature so you can connect let's say a tool like scangauge 2 or something similar but you can purchase a "check engine" bezel light indicator and make an ecu DPO "ecu diagnostics" so if something goes wrong (a sensor out of normal readings etc) the indicator will light up and then you can hook up your laptop and make a diagnosis at a glance.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:00 pm

I am currently running an Elite on my motorbike and using ODB2 with a cheap ebay wifi dongle to send data to my phone mounted on the handlebars. Works fine. Using the Dash Command software.

leadfoot

Postby leadfoot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:13 pm

I just made up a cable to go from the CAN port to OBD2, which only needs 12V, Ground, CAN Hi and CAN Lo. Plugged in a cheap OBD2 BT dongle, and also tested with WiFi adapters, and then just ran a common free app on the phone. Works perfectly.

Elite systems do broadcast OBD2 live data on the CAN. The platinum range are not capable of doing this.

this same procedure does work work with the platinum sport series but not with std third party or free apps

as evidenced by this thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11216
rossotc wrote:I have been doing some investigating as to what I can use for a cheap CAN interface for the sport ECU's

so far I have connected a OBD connector to the ECU's CAN HI and CAN LO pins, and have used a OBDLink SX cable (only $65.00) to connect to a computer.
the OBDLink cables are based on a STN1110 OBD chip. they also have a Bluetooth model.

with this setup I can configure the obdlink cable to CAN standard 11898 protocol with 11 bit headers and 1mbit data speed.
and I can get data streaming out.

next I used a USB Host cable (OTG) to connect to my android Phone and a terminal app and I can get the data streaming on the phone.

Does anybody have any experience programing Android apps? it would make a cheap dash /data logger.
I

if haltech made a CAN unit and andriod App i would buy it in a heartbeat. with the proliferation of android headunits on the market those of us with road cars that don't necessarily need a iq3 dash would likly be all over such a solution

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:42 am

Agreed completely. Just need time to do it.

Return to “Feature Requests”