WHY NOT OBD ????

BRIAN MP5T

Re: WHY NOT OBD ????

Postby BRIAN MP5T » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:29 am

That's funny... Mine is crystal clear all the time unless I am wearing polarized lenses.

AFR-1, Speed, Gear, Tach, Oil T, Oil P, Engine T

I don't really know what else you would want to see other than this.

Perhaps you didn't read the Help File to see all the features.

This Page shows basic information, but at the same time the IQ3 is actually monitoring these other things in the background.

-Voltage
-EGT
-Fuel Pressure

The things that it is showing are being monitored as well and would trigger a Red LED and Warning text.

Low or High Oil P
Low or High Oil T
Low or High Coolant Temp
High EGT
Very Lean WBO2 -1
Very Lean WBO2 -2
Very Lean WBO2 -3

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 am

Yup, display is totally bland as I said. It may have clear digits, but it's still bland. I wasnt using the IQ3, I was using another brand, but it's the same thing, and have used the AIM stuff in another car too.
All bland.

and still a $1k price tag

hell...even a laptop for a display is cheaper than that !

Plus not even sure on the legality of that IQ3 here in the UK at least.

Does it have an odometer ? indicator, headlamp, brake fluid level warning lamps etc ? Or provision for all the other warning lamps a modern car might have ? or would they need to sorted another way ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph, LS1 power :)
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

BRIAN MP5T

Postby BRIAN MP5T » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:10 pm

It does have an odometer, and all the rest of that shit isn't required in Ontario to pass a safety.

It needs tread on the tire, pads on the brakes, no breaks on the front glass, a front hood and fully functional exterior lights.

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Some countries really do have lax rules about "legality",

Some over here are nonsense, but at the same time, a decent yearly inspection isnt a bad thing when you see the state of some cars through sheer neglect and bad maintenance.
That said...some of the things Ive seen pass the inspection....would make you wonder what drugs the tester was taking a few minutes before.

They often fail serious safety related matters, and fail totally ridiculous things
202mph standing mile

donteatbugs

Postby donteatbugs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 pm

HP Slate 500, cost about $250 used

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu May 02, 2013 3:43 pm

It is very clearly labelled as a race dash Stevie, and yes it is not suitable for all applications so I can see how you do not prefer it. Indicator lights do not need to go through the Racepak dash as they are unrelated to the ECU, they can very easily be wired independently to show external lights. They do have an odometer as an available channel.

Again, OBD2 is an old and slow protocol not originally designed for live data display. It does do it, but it also does not have the bandwidth to be truly useful, and as such does not go with the philosophy of a race orientated system. Guaranteed, if we released an OBD display the phones would light up asking why it is so slow. Maybe an iOS and Android app designed for the task would be a better option for displaying basic data?

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 am

A lot of OBD stuff is now fed via CAN so is pretty fast.

OBD datastream is generic and many users dont need it to be rocket fast though. Even a cheap generic OBD bluetooth jobbie and Android can give a user on an OEM car useful information or novelty information at a perfectly usable rate

But it would be another plus point for potential Haltech customers

I dont use Haltech in my own car. But I would like a cheap data display to monitor one or two channels accurately when racing. Mostly water temp and charge temp ( and AFR if I didnt already have a separate gauge ). Normal dash/gauges are adequate for anything else. Im sure a lot of people only really want a simple display to monitor a few things whether for novelty value or other purposes.

And whether we like it or not...in some parts of the world, annual testing is likely going to include an OBD scan in the future. So any ecu that can mimmick the OEM data and tell any plug in device that all is well will be a bonus.
202mph standing mile

bizzle

Postby bizzle » Mon May 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Haltech Matthew,

Is this a hint that an iOS/Android app is finally in the works??

BRIAN MP5T

Postby BRIAN MP5T » Mon May 27, 2013 8:13 pm

bizzle wrote:Haltech Matthew,

That is a Tablet PC running windows 7

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue May 28, 2013 12:56 pm

No. It has been discussed but it is not being worked on just yet. Nice try though! :D

bizzle

Postby bizzle » Wed May 29, 2013 6:50 am

Is there a good 5 to 7 inch tablet for no more than $300-$400 that will run Windows 7 and hopefully with a capacitive screen? Small tablets that could run a full Windows 7 OS are not inexpensive, and most people these days already own a capable smartphone/tablet.

I'm not looking for an app to be able to tune and adjust things. iOS/Android app would be handy to be able to view/monitor certain selected parameters at times.

BRIAN MP5T wrote:

That is a Tablet PC running windows 7

240sxorty

Postby 240sxorty » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:30 am

Is there such thing as a CAN to bluetooth interface? The app for that would provide what I believe the OP is aiming at; A bluetooth interface to stream sensor data and other data channels to log and also display on a smart phone or tablet. Racepaks are from $800 for the display only and $1600 for the datalogger/gps/g sensor version.

https://esd.eu/en/products/can-bluetooth

Found this. Maybe I can make it work.

JonathanM

Postby JonathanM » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Hey Matt,

Now that you guys have done the RnD for the Elite series to support OBD2.

Will you be back-porting this functionality to your other ECU's (Platinum series) ?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:22 pm

The older models are not capable. With an Elite we have been using cheap ebay Wifi and BT modules and viewing live data on our phones, so it definitely works and is cheap as chips!

Bean Bandit

Postby Bean Bandit » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:38 am

HaltechMatthew wrote:The older models are not capable. With an Elite we have been using cheap ebay Wifi and BT modules and viewing live data on our phones, so it definitely works and is cheap as chips!

Hi,

can you elaborate on this a little - I kind of lost the plot if you are referring to CAN-Wifi/BT or OBD-Wifi/BT?

Very interested in this, thank you.

Return to “Feature Requests”