RX8 Gearbox speedo drive?

Ignition

RX8 Gearbox speedo drive?

Postby Ignition » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 am

Any RX8 experts there able to tell me how the RX8 gets its speedo reading? Does it have a gearbox sender, or does it take it from the ABS sensors over CAN? Done a lot of searching and can't find an answer, and am sick of signing up to more forums so thought I'd ask here first.
The reason I ask is a customer has one fitted to his FC (series 5 RX7) which the previous owner built up, and doesn't know, and needs the speedo to work. Hoping it has a sender I can fit a cable type drive into but not holding my breath. He is a 4 and a half hour drive away or I'd check myself.

HaltechScott
Haltech Staff

Re: RX8 Gearbox speedo drive?

Postby HaltechScott » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 pm

RX8 broadcasts the VSS over the CAN-BUS from the ABS to the ECU.
You will need to think of a new way to may it work!
Kind Regards
Scott
scott@haltech.com - support@haltech.com
Ph: +612 9729 0999
Please e-mail support directly for earliest reply.

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Bugger I did think it did that. Wheelspeed sensor on front wheel it is then, thanks Scott.

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 am

What transmission did they use in that FC? The 2nd gen use a transmission mounted sensor, and i think its mechanical on both S4 and S5, if i remember correctly? Or its electronic in the Series 5, cant remember.

Anyway, maybe you could tap into the one of the ABS sensors on the OEM units on the FC, is it a series 4 or 5? did it have ABS or not?
Claudio
tuningtechnology@gmail.com
Independant Haltech Sales & Tech Support

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:29 am

Sorry its an FC with 20B Bridgeport (n/a) and RX8 box behind it. Could have made that clearer I guess. Here it is on Youtube, some may recognize the guy in it from Aussie... I de-loomed engine bay when he built it a couple of years ago. It has since been sold and new owner wants it road legal I'm sorting out the elec powersteer controllers (SW20 MR2) and assorted things.
Its series 5, no ABS as far as I know; the owner said there are no ABS rings on there.

crispeed

Postby crispeed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am

Factory S4/5 speedo's are mechanically driven from the factory transmission. From there they send a square wave signal to the ecu, abs, electric seat belts and cruise control is so equipped.
Might be time for an IQ3 or AIM dash.
AWD MOTORSPORTS EVO8 GSR 8.75@167 E85
CHARLES/RAW 2JZ S2000 7.77@194 E98
NeillAutoWorks 2JZ S13 7.49@188mph E98 275 radials
MedicineManRacing R32 7.31@188mph E98 275 radials

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah I know they are cable drive standard :) Apparently Robinson Instruments in Auckland said they can modify it to use a wheelspeed sensor, so the owner is sorting it out with them and doing the mounting himself. I also need to use the speed signal for the SW20 MR2 electric powersteer setup I am fitting in a few weeks so hopefully he has it done by then.
IQ3 would be excellent in it, but is running a Microguess so no CAN line anyway. Previous owner (who I wired it for originally) would have just peeled it out and said "do whatever you have to" and would have been easy.
The original post was more of just a check to see if possible to modify a cable drive, as another shop said they thought they could get adapters... but I was fairly sure there was no space for it - and like Scott confirmed I already thought it used ABS sensor speed over CAN.

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 am

Ignition wrote:Here it is on Youtube.......

Oh Booooh!! It was all looking very nice until i saw the shot with the laptop screen... :evil:
Claudio

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

I know. I hate those things, horrible horrible antique pieces... in NZ everyone either has Link, Microguess, or of you're serious an M800 (even if you don't need it). Slowly changing the locals opinions though.
Brent Curren of CBR built the engine and fitted the LT10, I just did the delooming of the engine bay and making it all work. Original owner was Lance Warren of 3rotor.com, it has new owner now who I'm finishing off bits and pieces for.
Lance has an FD that needs finishing, but already has the Microguess for that too :cry:

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Ignition wrote:I know. I hate those things, horrible horrible antique pieces... in NZ everyone either has Link, Microguess, or of you're serious an M800 (even if you don't need it). Slowly changing the locals opinions though.
Brent Curren of CBR built the engine and fitted the LT10, I just did the delooming of the engine bay and making it all work. Original owner was Lance Warren of 3rotor.com, it has new owner now who I'm finishing off bits and pieces for.
Lance has an FD that needs finishing, but already has the Microguess for that too :cry:

Wow, Lance uses Micromanagemen?? Thats unbelieveable! Who knew...
Claudio

Ignition

Postby Ignition » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:42 am

Yeah I know, Lance's engine builder won't warranty the engine without his ECU and tune unfortunately. :evil: Even though Lance builds his own engines now.
Had to tune MTX8 last weekend in a 4age offroader, TPS mode as had huge cams. Yuck. Just yuck. One of the settings is labelled "Main jet"... I'm sorry, I thought I was tuning EFI? :lol:
Seems Lance also has an R35 GTR now too I see... might have to drop in next week when I'm in Auckland to sell him a Pro :mrgreen:

Claudio

Postby Claudio » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 am

Ignition wrote:Seems Lance also has an R35 GTR now too I see... might have to drop in next week when I'm in Auckland to sell him a Pro :mrgreen:

You bet your ass you should!! :mrgreen:
Claudio

Return to “Off-Topic”