Autotune/Closed Loop why not ????

stevieturbo

Autotune/Closed Loop why not ????

Postby stevieturbo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:58 am

Ive been having a nosey at the software lately, in search for an ecu for a 95 Audi S6, 5cyl turbo. ( E11 likely )

And also for some plug n play options like Subarus. Haltech does seem to cover a lot and the software looks prety well laid out with a variety of features...

But while it does have narrowband control option, and can datalop from a variety of Lambda sensors, including widebands...

Why doesnt it have a closed loop via an AFR target map available ??
I'm sure many would agree it would finally top off what looks like an impressive ecu for the money.

THR RX7

Re: Autotune/Closed Loop why not ????

Postby THR RX7 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:45 am

Well the ECU does have closed loop that you could configure to run 90% of the time, but why would you do that? You can use closed loop for no load/part throttle and as long as you have a great working map you wont really needed. But the fact is that Haltech wants to stay away from Autotune to prevent people from letting the ECU do all the work for them.

If you are interested in doing a plug n play application for your car, i can prolly help you with it, ive also worked on Subarus with PnP Haltech installs too with different levels of mods.

Let me know.
Claudio RX-7
For RX-7's and the Performance Markets
http://www.tuningtechnology.com
info@tuningtechnology.com
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763-0202

parapo

Postby parapo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:52 am

autotune would be very helpful in creating at least a partly driveable base map,and then fine tune the ecu from there.

especially for people who doesn't have a dyno.
this would save some initial tuning time i think.....

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:52 am

If the ecu is capable, and no doubt it is, then I cannot see any logical reason not to include it.

We use ecu's for a variety of reasons, why not use that technology to the full ???

As said, when mapping a car from nothing, it would be a massive beneift. Time is money, so it has to be a consideration when choosing an ecu.
When I bought my DTA ecu for my own car back in 2002, it was a major deciding factor for me, as it was my first ever programmable fuel injection project I'd undertaken. It was all carbs before that.

I dont have a dyno, on occasion I have to map alone, so autotune would be a massive benefit.

And besides, the computer can record and make changes much faster than I will ever be able to.
I honestly dont see any argument for not adding it. I assume it would only require a software change ??

THR RX7

Postby THR RX7 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Again, Auto Tuning is one thing, but when you use it in the same sentence with Closed Loop i get the feeling people would wanna run the ECU in Closed Loop 100% of the time to maintain specific AFRs and covering up their short comings with the mapping.

I agree that auto tuning is excelent to get your base map going a lot faster so you can run the car in less time and be done quicker, but not for continous opperation.

Heck, with practice i've gotten pretty good at getting a base map going with just a few clicks of the keyboard before i even start the car just by knowing injector size. Claudio RX-7
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763-0202

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:17 am

I agree, I wouldnt want to run it full time anyway, as sometimes widebands do read a bit odd.

Although you could easily give it a large area for control initially, then tightening it up once the map is finalized.

Its actually handy on my DTA as you can switch it off and on via a switch.

I tend to set the AFR's on the target map a little richer at WOT, and a little leaner at cruise than would normally be the case.

Ideal for motorway journeys, and also ideal for top speed runs where a little bit of extra fuel is safer.

Either way, it would be nice to have the option..

motohead

Autotune

Postby motohead » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:49 pm

I have read in another Haltech forum autos.groups.yahoo.com/gr...chSupport/
that Haltech is developing a ECU with autotune feature.
It started from the RX7 community. However that was about 6 months ago..... no sign of it yet!!!

THR RX7

Re: Autotune

Postby THR RX7 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:09 pm

Hey Motohead, you got a link that is directed to that "Haltech is developing an ECU with Autotune" so i can read about it?

Claudio RX-7
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763-0202

motohead

Autotune

Postby motohead » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:14 pm

Here you go:autos.groups.yahoo.com/gr...sage/14852

THR RX7

Re: Autotune

Postby THR RX7 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:40 am

Well the guys goes on to say that "he found out from the RX-7 Forum", but where is that post? Because its prolly likely that the post on the RX-7 was also speculation.
Claudio RX-7
Dominican Republic
Tel. +1(809)763-0202

crispeed

wideband.

Postby crispeed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:02 pm

Version 1.62 software for the E-8/11 do allow you to do closed loop via the wideband and allows you to set the actual A/F ratio.
I know it's not actualy a full two dimension A/F target table that's available from other ecu's out there but it's a step closer to actualy targeting A/F ratios during closed loop operation.
It actualy works great too.

stevieturbo

Re: wideband.

Postby stevieturbo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:14 pm

I see a section regarding to closed loop, in Setup/Fuel Setup, that offers control for idle/low throttle openeings.

I dont see anything relating to a proper AFR target map ??

ALthough I'm just viewing software ( Halwin 1.62 ), I dont have an ecu to attach it to.

mk2gtivr6

Re: wideband.

Postby mk2gtivr6 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:51 am

I Just read this on a forum. I been trying to find out about this my self i just got an e11v2.

The e8 and e11v2 will now be shipping with an autotune feature which takes alot of time out of the tune time.

If you want anymore information about the e8 just send me an email enquiries@sjwperformance.com

By the way that was posted on some forum by Ben from SJW Performance . <i>Edited by: mk2gtivr6 at: 9/20/06 7:54 am
</i>

stevieturbo

autotune

Postby stevieturbo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:11 am

If this is a true update, please mention it over on the new improved Haltech forum

http://www.oz951.com/halforum/bbs/

Is it a software upgrade ??

I fitted an E8 to a car last month, and there was no autoune option I was aware of. Ecu was supplied direct from Haltech

EvilChief

Re: autotune

Postby EvilChief » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:24 am

G'Day everyone,

the information about the new autotune features was released to us by Haltech.

More infromation about it can be found here:
http://www.sjwperformance.com/ot...totune.pdf

Kind regards
Michael

SJW Performance

Return to “General Discussion (from EZBoard)”