Does this setup make sense?

CaptWSims

Does this setup make sense?

Postby CaptWSims » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:10 pm

My car has been with a tuner for 8 months, and he's now moving overseas. He brought the car back to me todayand I'll be finishing up where he left off.

I question how he is setting up the signal for the ignition and the injectors. He is using the original Bosch L-Jetronic distributor's Hall Effect to generate the ignition signal, which then goes to a Haltech ignition module, then to 3 Haltech double coils (direct fire wasted spark 6 cylinder). This seems OK for the ignition, though I'm not an expert.

But I don't see how this can fire the injectors--doesn't the ECU have to know the crank angle before it can tell the injectors to batch fire?

The car came from the factory with neither a crank position sensor nor cam position sensor (1987 Alfa V-6 3 liter, now supercharged and modified for racing).

CaptWSims

Re: Does this setup make sense?

Postby CaptWSims » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:50 am

I did my post at 2 am, when having insomnia. Have thought about it more, and realize that the injectors in batch or simultaneous firing do not need to know the crank angle, as TDC is irrelevant--they just need to fire 6 times for every 2 revolutions of the crank. The Bosch distributor's Hall Effect signal will accomplish that. But how do I set it up on the laptop?

The ignition will likewise need to fire 6 times per 2 cycles of the crank. But crank position does matter--ignition needs to know TDC on #1 piston. Since it is a direct-fire wasted spark setup, does not have to know whether it is TDC compression or exhaust--just TDC. I don't see how the system is going to know that from the Bosch distributor's Hall Effect signal.

Is my thinking correct????

CaptWSims

Re: Does this setup make sense?

Postby CaptWSims » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:42 am

Hey, I'm answering my own posts...came up with a solution that will work. Will have a SS wheel fabricated at local machine shop that will fit inside my supercharger pulley (which is a press-fit in my crank pulley). Then mount the 2 magnets and fabricate a steady bracket for the S3 sensor.

This approach is well documented by Haltech, and takes out all the BS with the distributor.

Will pull the distributor and blank it off.

Return to “General Discussion (from EZBoard)”