Nissan CAS and Crank trigger

Questions about the Platinum Sport series ECU settings or features? Ask here.
Yapudo

Nissan CAS and Crank trigger

Postby Yapudo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi Haltech comunity,

I've got a CA18DET and a PS1000 since a long time. Now with last updates and functionnalitys I want the best from my engine.

First I see a lot of noise coming in RPM and so CAS signal, this problem is known because we are seeing crank position thru a rubber cambelt.

My question:
Can we add another crank trigger and sensors to have the precise engine position and keep the Nissan CAS for phasing to keep the sequencials ign and fuelling ?
off course with using only the "4 slot signal" from CAS.
If yes what are the best number of teeth to use on crank?

Thanks a lot.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Nissan CAS and Crank trigger

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:43 am

The more common setup for the Nissans is to use a 12x on the crank. For the cam you simply need to cut the OEM disc back so that you have only one tooth. This is done by leaving one section between two of the four slots.

the_bluester

Postby the_bluester » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am

Or you could use one of the AEM discs. They sell a 24 tooth TDC and 1 slot #1 disc, you would just ignore the wiring for the TDC slots and run that to your crank trigger.

I was looking at doing something like that for my car for the same reason of timing accuracy, but I am looking at an elite so I was going to use a 36-2 crank wheel to have the ability to start it and in a pinch, run it in wasted spark and batch injection..

Yapudo

Postby Yapudo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm

HaltechMatthew wrote:The more common setup for the Nissans is to use a 12x on the crank. For the cam you simply need to cut the OEM disc back so that you have only one tooth. This is done by leaving one section between two of the four slots.

I don't understand the "use a 12x on the crank", is it a specific crank trigger?
I don't want to modify the OEM CAS, is it possible to keep using the "home" 4 slots?

yes my idea was to use something like a 36-2 tooth for crank (or any better tooth arrangement), but I do not want to work in batch for fuel, or wasted spark.

the_bluester

Postby the_bluester » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:37 pm

By 12X he means a 12 tooth trigger.
If you are using a 36-2 or a straight 12 tooth trigger on the crank you need a home trigger for cylinder 1, so the four window homes in the Nissan CAS would not suit.
By way of modification, the AEM discs would be the simplest as they simply replace the stock disc and you could always return it to standard later if you wanted ot or needed to (Just mark which is the top of the disc)

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:27 pm

My way is free :mrgreen:
But if the instructions are proving a little confusing perhaps it is best to buy the AEM disc.

doyle4281

Postby doyle4281 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 am

Matthew, I think am trying to accomplish the very thing you have described in this thread, only in an RB26. I have a 12 tooth Ross wheel on my crank and would like to modify the Nissan CAS rather than using the Ross cam sensor. I’m not opposed to modifying the wheel, buying the AEM wheel, or even getting a wheel made, I’d just like to keep the Nissan CAS for appearance reasons. Being that the Ross cam sensor and the factory cam sensor are both reading off the same mechanism (belt/bracket), just a different sensor style, I can’t image that there would be any advantage of using one over the other. Thanks

Return to “Platinum Sport Series”