Subaru EJ205 firing 120 degrees out of sync

Questions about the Platinum Sport series ECU settings or features? Ask here.
reaper_1994

Subaru EJ205 firing 120 degrees out of sync

Postby reaper_1994 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi everyone, I'm struggling to understand what has happened to my ECU since I've done a wiring change.

The long:
I had the motor top end rebuilt and changed my crank timing sprocket to the MY01 sprocket and installed set of Adjustable BC Cam Gears.
It ran fine to start with besides the fact it was still missing from time to time (was the reason for the rebuild/upgrade) so I put it down to poor spark.
Over last weekend, I had changed my coil on plug loom from a wasted spark setup to a direct fire setup and wired up to the ECU to suit.
After this change, I've not been able to get it running at all (before and after changing the wiring. The plug was where it started going wrong). While checking timing, I noticed it was out by a lot. I've added 120 degrees to the timing (variable because of the reluctor sensor) and now it lines up but it's still not firing. I have plugged in a spare coil on plug with a spare spark plug and have confirmed all of them are being triggered to spark but it's still refusing. I'm almost 99% sure the ECU has failed because I've never seen this happen before where I'm getting fuel, spark and compression but no bangs at the right time.

The short:
Changed an ignition loom plug to prep for direct fire, stupidly didn't take note of where the cables went, corrected it after testing and now it doesn't work.

EJ205
264 Kelford cams and valve springs to suit
ARP head studs
STI bottom end with Cosworth bearings and head gaskets
VF34 turbo
Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 with HT-140822 plug and play loom (that does not exist on the downloads page anymore)

Any assistance to get this working would be great. I'm fine with sending my ECU down for testing so long as I don't need to sell a kidney to pay for it.

I've added the 2 logs I've captured converted to excel spreadsheets so they can be uploaded. 1 is from the ECU and the other is from the software both logging at once.
Attachments
ECU log while cranking.xlsx
(37.83 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
software log while cranking.xlsx
(12.87 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Late 1998 Subaru WRX GC8 - VF34 turbo, FMIC, built bottom end, 3" turbo back exhaust, Haltech PS2000 @16psi and climbing 8)

reaper_1994

Re: Subaru EJ205 firing 120 degrees out of sync

Postby reaper_1994 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Well, I ended up putting my original loom back in, getting RPM, spark, fuel but no bang. Even on factory settings. Looks as though my PS2000 is dead :(

Anyone from Haltech know rough cost of repair or even if it's still on the list of capable repairs?

Thanks in advance.
Late 1998 Subaru WRX GC8 - VF34 turbo, FMIC, built bottom end, 3" turbo back exhaust, Haltech PS2000 @16psi and climbing 8)

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:11 am

If you are getting fuel and spark....clearly the ecu is alive and working.

Do the camwheels you fitted...have the correct trigger teeth on them ?

I've used some camwheels in the past where the ferrous metal teeth they've added to the alloy pulley...were crap or in the wrong place so the ecu simply did not recognise them.

And are you saying this is a pre 2001 car/engine...ie a classic ? and you fitted a 2001+ camwheel ?

The tooth triggers are different, so unless you program the ecu to suit this...it's never going to run correctly. Refit the correct camwheel !
9.85 @ 144.75mph, LS1 power :)
202mph standing mile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

reaper_1994

Postby reaper_1994 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks for replying StevieTurbo.

I had replaced the cam gear and crank sprocket with the pattern from a my01 and updated the settings on the platinum sport 2k and the elite 1500 to match. It had run fine initially before going direct fire where everything had gone haywire.

After a very quick phone call to haltech, they picked up the cam sensor was getting poor signal and so the ecu wasn't timed correctly. I've since changed just the cam gear and crank sprocket back to pre my01 and it's running again. It'll be going in for a tune on the 25th.

chotee

Postby chotee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:31 pm

I appreciate….very ingenious.I love this topic,I found this post really useful.
tbsbet

Return to “Platinum Sport Series”