subaru coil/ignitor wiring - need help

Questions about the Platinum Sport series ECU settings or features? Ask here.

subaru coil/ignitor wiring - need help

Postby turboii » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am

I am trying to get a ps1000 working with a '99 impreza coil/ignitor. I am not sure about the wiring, but it has 4 wires and from what I can gather from the impreza FSM the wiring is this:
1. Coil 1 input (cyl 1, 3)
2. +12V
3. GND
4. Coil 2 input (cyl 2, 4)

but it does not work, i get no spark. I was previously running this car with the older coil setup (separate coil and ignitor modules) and it ran fine, so i know my settings are right as far as trigger, and i am getting rpm reading when cranking. But i swapped the old engine out for a newer EJ22, and it came with this newer coil pack that has a coil with built-in ignitor.

Does anybody know how to wire it up?

thanks for the help
1993 Mazda RX-7 - PS1000
1975 Datsun 280z - E6k
turboii

Re: subaru coil/ignitor wiring - need help

Postby vamian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:56 am

first of all i do not think your igniter will use a 12v supply
sesond if your using a waste spark setup cols pair is 1-4 and 2-3. not 1-3 and 2-4
third your igniter will have to be with 2 inputs(ign out 1 and ign out 2) and 2 output(coils 1-4 and coil 2-3)
and 1 ground
HALTECH ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
DYNAPACK 2000
vamian

Postby turboii » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:39 am

1. why not 12V supply (batt voltage)? the ignitor needs to draw power from somewhere to charge the coils.
2. my mistake.. the coil pairs are 1-2 and 3-4. firing order is 1-3-2-4
3. agreed

I messed around with it today, and it was erratic. sometimes i got spark, but most of the time not. it may be bad solder joints in my wiring, i will redo them tomorrow and see if it is better. I also tested the coil today with a bench supply and I get spark, so i know the coil is good.
1993 Mazda RX-7 - PS1000
1975 Datsun 280z - E6k
turboii

Postby hustleShark » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:15 am

You should get some wrx or STI coil over plugs and wire them for direct fire. That way each coil pack gets it's own signal and no spark is wasted. Thats what I did and my spark seems much stronger now.
hustleShark

Postby vamian » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 am

Ok you have paired the coils ok if your firing order is 1-3-2-4
but if you are using a dual channel igniter it will not need a 12v supply. just wire it as i said before.
HALTECH ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
DYNAPACK 2000
vamian

Postby turboii » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:36 pm

I tried disconnecting 12V, still no spark. i dont get how this could even work. how could the haltech IGN outputs supply enough power for the coils?

so I redid the wiring with new crimp terminals (previously were soldered), and hooked it back up, still no spark. Fuck it, i will just use the old coil with separate ignitor setup (i was running this setup previously with no problems for over a year). I hook it up, i get spark! yay! I modify the spark plug wires to fit, since the older coil has different connectors, hook them up, hook up a timing light to zero it. .. and back to no spark. :|

weird intermittent crap happening. i have seen both coils work, but neither will stay working

seems like a broken wire to me, but im bringing an o-scope from work to check the IGN outputs to make sure they arent flaking out. I will also check continuity back to the haltech connector
1993 Mazda RX-7 - PS1000
1975 Datsun 280z - E6k
turboii

Postby _aatsi_ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 pm

99/00 impreza coil(4 wire) has built-in igniter so to wires will be ign1,ign2,+12v and GND.
_aatsi_

Postby Robbks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:59 am

turboii wrote: I modify the spark plug wires to fit, since the older coil has different connectors, hook them up, hook up a timing light to zero it. .. and back to no spark. :|

I suspect a stuffed crank/ cam sensor.
subies seem to kill them all the time. especially if you're removing manifolds/ pulling on the wiring loom, etc
Robbks

Postby eranmk1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:57 pm

turboii wrote:I am trying to get a ps1000 working with a '99 impreza coil/ignitor. I am not sure about the wiring, but it has 4 wires and from what I can gather from the impreza FSM the wiring is this:
1. Coil 1 input (cyl 1, 3)
2. +12V
3. GND
4. Coil 2 input (cyl 2, 4)

but it does not work, i get no spark. I was previously running this car with the older coil setup (separate coil and ignitor modules) and it ran fine, so i know my settings are right as far as trigger, and i am getting rpm reading when cranking. But i swapped the old engine out for a newer EJ22, and it came with this newer coil pack that has a coil with built-in ignitor.

Does anybody know how to wire it up?

thanks for the help

i know it is an old post but i am sure some one will find it useful

the wiring you did is wrong

if your coil is from a turbo engine model:
pin1-12V
pin2-earth
pin3 trigger 1
pin4-trigger2
eranmk1

Return to Platinum Sport Series