PS1000 into Subaru MY05???

Questions about the Platinum Sport series ECU settings or features? Ask here.

PS1000 into Subaru MY05???

Postby jasaircraft » Wed May 11, 2011 4:38 am

Hi we have at the shop this 2005 subaru group N rally car that currently has another brand ecu that is detonating badly, we want to put in there a PS1000... The engine has throttle cable so no need for piggyback setup.. BUT we have intake AVCS system (intake only).
Is it possible? can extra outputs be assigned to controll the AVCS?

COP too.
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Re: PS1000 into Subaru MY05???

Postby vamian » Wed May 11, 2011 8:31 am

no problem. haltech will controll perfect your engine
HALTECH ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
DYNAPACK 2000
vamian

Postby Claudio » Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 am

Is this an STI that originally had DBW and was turned into mechanical throttle? You can run the Sport 1000 on it, all it is is using up more inputs and outputs, so you might have to prioritize what you want to control.

A Sport 2000 Plug in Base map for the 01-05 STI imported into Sport 1000 format should work just fine.

My 2 cents? Go with the 2000, you wont regret it.
Claudio

Postby jasaircraft » Sat May 14, 2011 1:02 pm

thanks alot, now the deal is to find the connectors to make a patch loom... anyone know where I can find just female ecu connectors to make my own patch looms? patch looms sold separatelly are ridiculous expensive....
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 pm

I must add that as Scott told me, in case of using a AVCS equipped engine I would need two VR conditioners or reluctor adapters for the two sensors on the back. That way I can use their 5v pulsed signal, its weird that the ps1000 doesnt have more VR conditioners besides the crank and cam ones.
:|
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:18 pm

what is also strange is that there is a ps1000 pack deal on ebay that says its avcs compatible... have they put two vr conditioners inside?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Haltech-P1000-Subaru-WRX-MY01-05-AVCS-NON-US-SPEC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bf1d0e9eQQitemZ110580534942QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Scott could you comment on this please?
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Postby Claudio » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:23 pm

The Subaru WRX JDM 01-05 plug in which is designed for the E11/Sport 2000 ECU and the JDM engines is meant to both control the intake cams on those engines that have it and they wire the intake butterflies fully opened all the time, there is no control, but they are hooked up to the plug in so that they stay open all the time. The CAM control is also fully programmable on these engines. Now, the latin american market WRX 02-03 STI that has cam control and DOES NOT have drive by wire (electronic throttle), and is left hand drive, is exactly the same as the JDM version, so the plug in sold for the JDM WRX 01-05 with AVCS will also work on these model vehicles. I have done several of these, as well as several customers of mine both in Chile and Peru and they work perfectly.

You never answered the question about what car you had, what exact model was it and what year. But, to answer your initial question about using a Sport 1000, if your engine/vehicle is 01-05, and its not drive by wire, YES you can use a sport 1000 with the plut n play, but! you will need to reassign 2 of the DPO's to be the cam control outputs and you also will loose the Check Engine Light, it will not work unless you sacrifice another one of the DPO outputs. If, however, your car is a 2005 STI with variable cams, and electronic throttle, your best choice is to purchase a Boomslang jumper harness, and a Sport 1000 short harness kit (or long harness, it doesnt matter), and wire the Haltech in parallel with the stock ECU so that it will control everything except the injectors and ignition.

So, please provide more info on your project so we can help you further.
Claudio

Postby jasaircraft » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Claudio wrote:The Subaru WRX JDM 01-05 plug in which is designed for the E11/Sport 2000 ECU and the JDM engines is meant to both control the intake cams on those engines that have it and they wire the intake butterflies fully opened all the time, there is no control, but they are hooked up to the plug in so that they stay open all the time. The CAM control is also fully programmable on these engines. Now, the latin american market WRX 02-03 STI that has cam control and DOES NOT have drive by wire (electronic throttle), and is left hand drive, is exactly the same as the JDM version, so the plug in sold for the JDM WRX 01-05 with AVCS will also work on these model vehicles. I have done several of these, as well as several customers of mine both in Chile and Peru and they work perfectly.

You never answered the question about what car you had, what exact model was it and what year. But, to answer your initial question about using a Sport 1000, if your engine/vehicle is 01-05, and its not drive by wire, YES you can use a sport 1000 with the plut n play, but! you will need to reassign 2 of the DPO's to be the cam control outputs and you also will loose the Check Engine Light, it will not work unless you sacrifice another one of the DPO outputs. If, however, your car is a 2005 STI with variable cams, and electronic throttle, your best choice is to purchase a Boomslang jumper harness, and a Sport 1000 short harness kit (or long harness, it doesnt matter), and wire the Haltech in parallel with the stock ECU so that it will control everything except the injectors and ignition.

So, please provide more info on your project so we can help you further.

Hi Claudio, its a 2005 Sti that has had the DBW removed for a mechanical one, ...... So did I buy the VR conditioners in vain? As I understood it the VR conditioners were to be installed in sequence each to two of the ecu's inputs (dont know exactly which inputs if you can help me please and will these inputs already have vr conditioning?) and use two DPOs to control the solenoids. Am I on the right track? I will make my own patch looms because I found a store on the web to buy both the ecu connectors and the haltech connectors hehehe...
thanks alot!!! for all the help!!!
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Postby Claudio » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:59 am

Here's your problem, your engine is a 2005, originally DBW, this means the cam sensors on it are different than the older NON DBW engines. Your only solution to this problem is you will need to install an Non DBW cam sproket and sensor on the engine so that the Haltech will be able to work properly. If memory serves, there is a slot with screw whole on the driver side head where you could fit the sensor.

I've had to do this once before on another customer's car that had a modern DBW engine put on it and they didnt know the cam sensors where different.

Hope that helps.
Claudio

Postby jasaircraft » Sat May 12, 2012 4:56 am

Thanks Claudio... About the inputs for the cams sensors, which should we use? And what setup on the software?
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Postby stevieturbo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:25 am

DBW heads do not have the fitting for the old mag sensor near the camwheel

Cosworth however do sell a little bracket that you bolt onto the cam carrier bolts and the sensor onto and allows you to use an older camwheel.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9485

http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/vie ... product=40

Although there are other brand ecu's that are plug n play for DBW cars if required.

Not sure where you'd locate a main ecu connector to make a patch harness, although I was recently supplied a patch harness for another ecu on an 06 DBW car, so they are available.
I could put you in contact with the people who supplied me if that helps ? Although they are UK based, so probably wont be cheap.
9.85 @ 144.75mph, LS1 power :)
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0
stevieturbo

Postby jasaircraft » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks stevie, all contacts regarding ecu connectors are welcomed :D
We have the project on stand by as the engine is being overhauled and bulletproofed...
We can use the older sensors and sprockets no problem, all I need is to know what inputs on the haltech to use, and how to set them up in the sofware, these little VR conditioner boards by jbperf are great!
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Postby stevieturbo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 am

jasaircraft wrote:Thanks stevie, all contacts regarding ecu connectors are welcomed :D
We have the project on stand by as the engine is being overhauled and bulletproofed...
We can use the older sensors and sprockets no problem, all I need is to know what inputs on the haltech to use, and how to set them up in the sofware, these little VR conditioner boards by jbperf are great!

If you install the old inlet camwheel and the Cosworth bracket for the normal cam sensor, trigger setup will be as per normal 2001-2006 Subaru so installation from that point of view should be easy.

I was just looking at a pair of DBW cams from a 2.5. The cams have 3 "teeth" at the rear of each cam. Not quite teeth as such, more the round camshaft with a keyway cut out of them at 3 locations around the diameter. These slots are the reference for the hall sensor.

So the Haltech may be able to decode this or it may not. That would be up to Haltech to decide.
202mph standing mile
stevieturbo

Postby jasaircraft » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Thread resurection, do you guysknow if tje oil solenoid has a permanent 12v on one pin and the other pin has a pwm negative signal?
Does the cam return to a certain position when no pwm is applied? What position?
Making people fly!
jasaircraft

Postby stevieturbo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:03 am

jasaircraft wrote:Thread resurection, do you guysknow if tje oil solenoid has a permanent 12v on one pin and the other pin has a pwm negative signal?
Does the cam return to a certain position when no pwm is applied? What position?

Looking at other wiring diagrams. It does look like both solenoids receive a fixed 12v. Although this comes via the normal ecu connector.. Then the other pin goes to a suitable PWM output.

They use a PWM output for each solenoid. ie 2 in use for a MY05. So that's 4 x ecu pins used in total for the dual cam AVCS solenoids

As far as I know, when no PWM is applied, it returns to 0deg advance and should stay there. But dont quote me on that.
202mph standing mile
stevieturbo

Next

Return to Platinum Sport Series