Newb: initial startup

Questions about the Platinum Pro Harness 350Z and R35? Ask here.
MadJak

Newb: initial startup

Postby MadJak » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:46 pm

A few newb questions. I have a race Mx5 and I have just installed a new engine, Haltech PS1000, Toyota COPs and a myriad of other sensors, including MAP, TPS, Wideband o2, ATS, CTS, stock tps and cas. All sensors seem to be reading fine, although I'm seeing some fluctuation in the CTS as I crank on the starter. I have also removed the idle control valve. I'm just trying to get the engine to fire and it's not exactly working as expected.

The engine fires, and will run briefly until it splutters / hiccups and stalls. It's like the firing order is out so my questions all relate to this. The cams are very aggressive so getting it to idle well probably won't be that easy. Still I would expect it to run even if the timing is well out.

Firing Order:

Mx5 / Miatas fire as 1 - 3 - 4 - 2. I have wired my harness as Cylinder 1 - injector 1, Cylinder 2 - injector 2, 3 - 3, 4 - 4... and in the ECU manager set firing order to #1 = 1, #2 = 4, #3 = 4, #4 = 2. I assume thats correct and there's no little tricks there.

Timing:

I'm using the stock CAS trigger (Mitsubishi standard) and have the timing light hooked up and I'm seeing large fluctuations in the timing. What things do I need to check? I tried the timing lock option last night but having read up more on it today I think I had timing out 10 degrees. So basically the timing lock setting locks the timing at 10deg regardless of the sensor readings, and I need to adjust the CAS sensor to get the crank pulley at 10 degrees? Can I pull the injector fuse whilst doing this as I think the firing is causing the engine to splutter making it hard to read the timing.

Fuel:

I have a fuel pressure regulator that's currently set to 4 bar, about 60 PSI. Could my injectors be making everything run too rich?

All up I'm not exactly sure what settings to tweak to get the engine to run. I have it booked in for a tune next week but I was trying to get everything running so I can verify everything is working right. Maybe I should just wait for an expert!

Rick

MadJak

Re: Newb: initial startup

Postby MadJak » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Oops, posted in the wrong forum... I'll repost in the Haltech Sports section.

LMS_689

Postby LMS_689 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Email me at the link below with details on your combination. I'll send you a startup map.
Haltech Parts and Accessories
Custom Harness Construction
http://www.lms-efi.com
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:01 am

Maps for the NA and NB MX5's come with the software. If you with to go sequential you only need to change this setting and wire the injectors to suit.

MadJak

Postby MadJak » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:52 pm

It turns out the troubles with the engine starting were due to the cops not firing for some strange reason. Timing and tune I was using were fine. It seems that when the cops are bolted down onto the head they dont fire. As soon as I unbolt them and just sit them there the engine runs fine.

They must be shorting out on the plug or there must be an earthing issue. Luckily I was lazy when it was late last night and could be bothered bolting them down when trying to debug the issue. Thats the only reason I found the cops were the problem.

Return to “Platinum Pro Harness”