Haltech Platinum with I/O Expander problem

Questions about the Platinum Pro Harness 350Z and R35? Ask here.
GAMERMODZoCOM

Haltech Platinum with I/O Expander problem

Postby GAMERMODZoCOM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 am

So I finally got around to putting in my I/O expander. I have it connected, it powers on, and I have the latest ECU Manager (1.10.4) but I am unable to see the device..

Any thoughts?

HaltechAdam
Haltech Staff

Re: Haltech Platinum with I/O Expander problem

Postby HaltechAdam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:19 am

What is your ECU firmware? it must be 1.10 and above

BRIAN MP5T

Postby BRIAN MP5T » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 am

GAMERMODZoCOM

Postby GAMERMODZoCOM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Hal at Dynosty got me setup.

Now I am having an issue with the ECU and IO expander.

So pre-update for the io expander, I had my water/meth kit connected to the generic output on the ECU. After Hal updated my firmware, he told me that if I use generic output on the io expander, it will over-ride the generic output on the ECU. Well, I found out my water/meth wasn't coming on anymore as it should even though I didn't have anything enable on the IO box yet. I decided to just "disable" the io box thinking this would allow my generic output on the ECU to work again. It didn't.

So, while my map is setup pretty safe in case of a failure of the water/meth kit failing, I figured it would be a good idea to quickly move the water/meth kit to the IO box. So I did this and put it on DPO 1 and set the required parameters. It is still not turning on the meth kit.

Any thoughts on this?

GAMERMODZoCOM

Postby GAMERMODZoCOM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Oh, and one more thing, now my ECU can't see my wheel slip percentage thus making my timing trim, traction control setup absolutely useless.

BRIAN MP5T

Postby BRIAN MP5T » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Did you update the firmware?

GAMERMODZoCOM

Postby GAMERMODZoCOM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 am

Yes, thats why I can now use the IO expander.

HaltechAdam
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechAdam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:13 am

Please go to our website and download the latest firmware for the 350Z which is 1.10.5
Upgrade your ECU to this and it should fix your issue.
Please ensure your main power connections on the I/O box are connected to their respective sources. ( ie +12V and Grounds)
Cheers

GAMERMODZoCOM

Postby GAMERMODZoCOM » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:17 pm

With the firmware you just uploaded, does that mean I can use the generic output on the ECU and all 4 on the IO box at the same time or only as long as on the IO box I don't chose the option "generic output 1"?

I only have the can cable plugged in and not the power, ground, ign wires because thus far, I am only driving a relay by the "active state" ground. Is this not ok? I have the pins that need to be connected on the IO box to the wires on the main harness, I just haven't done it yet because I haven't setup my other sensors.

Also, since the upgrade, I can no longer see wheel slip. I have setup the timing trim map up based on wheel slip for traction control but now can't use it due to this. I have an email out to Hal about this but if you have some suggestions, I would appreciate it.

HaltechAdam
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechAdam » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:39 am

With the firmware you just uploaded, does that mean I can use the generic output on the ECU and all 4 on the IO box at the same time or only as long as on the IO box I don't chose the option "generic output 1"?
Yes you can use all 4 of the outputs on the I/o box at the same time, if you select generic output 1 on the I/O box this will mimic the settings of generic output 1 internal to the ECU. IE they will be the same function.

I only have the can cable plugged in and not the power, ground, ign wires because thus far, I am only driving a relay by the "active state" ground. Is this not ok? I have the pins that need to be connected on the IO box to the wires on the main harness, I just haven't done it yet because I haven't setup my other sensors.
It is recommended that you connect the powers as they are required for the DPO circuit Flyback to protect the device. Without the powers connected you can dump the EMF into the device driver causing damage.

Also, since the upgrade, I can no longer see wheel slip. I have setup the timing trim map up based on wheel slip for traction control but now can't use it due to this. I have an email out to Hal about this but if you have some suggestions, I would appreciate it.
We have doubled checked this is working with our 1.10 and above firmware here on the bench, Please check that you can see the CAN wheel speed signals and the CAN vehicle speed signal via checking the channels on ECU manager.

GAMERMODZoCOM

Postby GAMERMODZoCOM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:18 am

So I double checked the firmware and it is 1.10 however, it's obviously not the latest that has the generic output fix though.

I tried moving the meth kit to DPO2 in the event their was an issue with DPO1 and Generic 1 on the ECU and it's still not working. I have to assume it's because I do not have the IO box on it's own power at this point.

I have also checked all wheel speed channels and I get nothing. No wheel speed channel has data nor wheel slip percentage. Not sure what could have happened when Hal updated the firmware. Also, in the event it matters, I have an 08 Nismo 350Z which has the VQ35HR (Twin Throttle Body) motor.

GAMERMODZoCOM

Postby GAMERMODZoCOM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 am

Alright, so I have fixed 1 of 2 issues!

So even though you can see and setup the I/O expander with just the can cable supplying it power, the DPO's will not trigger a relay, even with a low/ground signal. I gave the I/O box it's own power source and she flips my meth relay perfectly!

Now to figure out why I have lost my wheel speed channel readings!

3point5

Postby 3point5 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 pm

HaltechAdam wrote:Please go to our website and download the latest firmware for the 350Z which is 1.10.5
Upgrade your ECU to this and it should fix your issue.
Please ensure your main power connections on the I/O box are connected to their respective sources. ( ie +12V and Grounds)
Cheers

Hey Adam -
I was looking to upgrade my firmware to the 1.10.5 as you've mentioned in this thread - but the link is dead? Might you be able to look into why the link no longer connects? Is there anywhere else I can grab the latest firmware for the platinum pro unit?

Thanks,
James

Return to “Platinum Pro Harness”