Software Debacle, Bugs and Features

Questions about ECU Manager? Ask here.
ItzGenX

Software Debacle, Bugs and Features

Postby ItzGenX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:05 am

Fyi, I am using a platinum pro plugin r32/33 connected to an rb26 with 3bar map and GM air temp sensor.

Right! So I know that these forums are rarely visited and tech help is slim pickings in these parts. The thing is, nowhere else on the internet even discusses haltech related material much at all if any. OK onto my current issues that probably will not get a reply.

1) ECU manager can't load an external playback file once the program has closed out the original recording. For example, I drive the car and PC log the data. I pull back into the driveway, stop recording, shut off the engine, unplug the usb, and go inside with the ecu manager software still open. In this instance it lets me playback my current log before saving or exporting. Let's say I export to a CSV file for the next day and close the ECU manager software. The next day, I grab my computer, turn it on, plug the usb into the ecu, and connect to it. In the data manager tab at the bottom, I click the external playback and select the CSV datalog file from the previous day, and boom, ECU manager crashes. This happens to every single computer I have access to which include windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10 (all using 1.13.5). Now this wouldn't irk me as much if datalog viewer didn't look so cryptic to me which leads to the next topic.

2) Datalog viewer appears super simple yet cryptic right off the bat. Opening datalog viewer in any software version will display pretty much a blank screen. I usually default to opening a CSV log which will begin opening the tree. Now taking some of these tree datasets and opening them on a trace window reveals some really confusing data depending on what you are looking at. The numbers can look sort of familiar if it is divisible by 10, but other numbers look insane without much of a clue on where to start with converting them. I understand you can take these raw readings and make math/equations for them to display what you want. That's nice, but not everyone knows every formula to break down this raw data since the raw data scales aren't explained anywhere on haltech's site. Pressing F1 doesn't help much at all either since the manual needs some major enhancements as far as reading material. It would be nice to at least have preset math equations loaded in the menus. All I want to see is the same thing I saw in my ECU manager. Hell, I wouldn't even use datalog viewer if ECU manager would just let me perform an external playback so I can see my actual set gauge values.

3) Software features that can add a lot of power to a tuner and even save tons of time. I tuned my friend's cheap megasquirt ecu on his computer with a neat little program called Mega Log Viewer (MLV for short). They also make a universal one that's not megasquirt specific called Mega Log Viewer HD, but I couldn't get it to work with a an untampered CSV haltech log file at all (more on this later). The single best feature is that it does cell and hit count tables much like the scatter view in the datalog viewer but way better. Their scatter plots weigh the data point by how many times it has been hit in that zone which adds weight to the data that you can actually use. You can use this same method on an actual table cell by cell with averaging. Once all the datalog info is compiled for example, you can get a nice grid view just like viewing a 2d fuel map. Each cell when you hover over it can display the average air fuel ratio and let you know the % difference from your targeted AFR/Lamda. I had my friend's VE map tuned with just 5x 30min datalogs that were individually provided to me per visit. The software fueling changes took me maybe 5-10 minutes each time I saw him. Averaging cell hit values for a certain parameter is great since we've all seen various fluctuations in Lamda at a specific load point. This way you won't end up correcting since the cell was a hair lean, but later on in the log playback the same cell shows as a hair rich. I couldn't get a CSV file directly from ECU manager to work. I did however get it to work by editing the file in excel and actually moving the list of row parameters (channel:) to individual column headers, then deleting the other 3 rows that followed each logged channel. Basically I turned it into an excel sheet that can actually be understood by a normal human being at a glance. The biggest problem is the raw data values are in unknown scales versus familiar values like 14.7afr, 89F°, etc. You don't even need a fancy program to be able to make a load cell table with averaged values per cell since all this can be done in excel with a little more manual coding/sorting labor which is no problem to me if I had the silly formulas to convert all these raw logged units to more familiar units. Is there not an excel export feature in the first place? It seems like something simple that can be added to ecu manager, but I think the goal motto at Haltech seems to be "Lets make this complicated and leave it at that."

OK so sorry for the book that probably no one will read, but these are very valid issues and points here. Like most topics on this forum, it will fade into distant memory most likely, but sometimes some topics get looked at and things actually get changed/fixed/done. I am hoping it is the latter. At the very least, I hope someone chimes in with these formulas for different channel parameters so I can at least have logs that look familiar. Heck, the haltech guys can maybe even add it to the TWO formulas they have on the front page in the formula section.

Undecipherable data is about as good as no data. In a world where data is knowledge, and knowledge is power. I feel pretty weak and vulnerable with this ecu/software setup at the moment. Even my old E6X car was easier to tune with datalogs in Halwin than the current offering.

ItzGenX

Re: Software Debacle, Bugs and Features

Postby ItzGenX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Here is an example of a modified Haltech log (see attached). I used excel to edit a csv file to organize column headers as well as formulas to convert the values down to something sensible. I then opened the modified csv file in MLV-HD. In this cell chart, you can see I have X, Y, Z as Load, RPM, and AFR. This log in particular was mostly highway cruising with some low speed rural roads. The cells are colored based on "weight" which means that the darker cells have more collected data on them. The AFR values per cell are an average of all collected counts for that cell parameter. The darker cells at the top right during highway cruising have several thousand data counts, so their weight is rather high. This means editing the ECU's mapping point on those particular cells would yield an accurate result. The lighter the cell color, the less weight it carries, so corrections should be conservative on them if any at all. The best thing to do here would be to review all of the green cells and make changes in the corresponding ECU map with this information in hand. Simply compare with the target AFR table, deduce the % difference, and adjust the base fuel by this percentage. Most of the other cells with low weight and wacky AFR are to be expected since the decel fuel cut is not currently on for this log. Also the transient throttle enrichment and o2 correction are not on during this log either.

It took me about 40 minutes of excel number crunching and fumbling to modify the csv log file. Plugging the modded file into MLV-HD, formatting the graphs, charts, and tables, then changing the fuel map on the ecu for all of the green cells took me about 8 minutes total. I wish I didn't have to do either of that (excel formatting and using 3rd party app). These are the type of features that need to be in the haltech datalog viewer. It would be insanely simple to just log the data, throw it on a table from the logging software, and fix cells of interest in minutes all from the same software.

suprasam

Postby suprasam » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:58 am

ITXGENX, this looks like an awesome tool! I would like to find out more. The gist of it is we need to re-lable our datalog to work with the program. Is there a need for any excel calculations to make a file work? I would like do target v actual afrs easily and this method looks like it will help a ton!

ItzGenX

Postby ItzGenX » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 am

The MLVHD software is actually compatible with Haltech ESP software. You can trick it into auto sorting your log file by first editing the software line in the datalog.

Try this:
-Record datalog and export to a CSV file.
-Navigate to the file and right click on it.
-Select 'edit' and it should get opened in notepad.
-If you don't have an edit selection, manually open in notepad (not word).
-Look for the software line, should be a few lines from the top.
-Change 'ECU Manager' to 'Haltech ESP'.
-Now open with MLVHD.

I still use excel since I built a macro spreadsheet that spits out the exact values I should be correcting to. I only change the cells that have a high weight value (more hit counts). The lighter yellow and white cells, I only make a 20% of the recommended change to prevent over correction from a lack of sample data for that cell. My spreadsheet basically consists of 4 tabs. The first tab I copy and paste the table from MLVHD with the data logged Lamda values. The second tab I copy and paste the target AFR table (just change from lamda pulldown to target afr) from MLVHD. The third tab I copy and paste my base fuel map (that was ran during the datalog) from ECU Manager. The 4th tab is coded to take the values from the first tab, divide by the second tab =%, which is then multiplied by the third tab (base fuel)/10 to arrive at my new base fuel number. I've gotten it down to just 10 minutes once I turn off the car, make changes, then upload new map to the ecu for the next log runs. The 4th tab in excel is also cell formatted to show only one decimal point and to always round UP to the nearest 0.2 since ECU manager doesn't take odd number decimals. I chose to round up since more fuel is safer than less, even in a miniscule value.

It's silly going back and forth through various programs, but it works way better than staring at a playback of a log. The best way would to have all these functions available in ecu manager in the first place, but oh well.

suprasam

Postby suprasam » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:34 pm

I hear you. Running through the logs can be a pain.

I did your trick and it worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip! I was about to start building excel formulas!

oilteq

Postby oilteq » Sun May 15, 2016 9:23 am

ItzGenX

How did you convert the CSV file into something meaningful?

I have a Sport 1000 ECU. RPM is pretty straight forward, but throttle position (I am using it to sense load) and AFR not so much. Frankly, I am having trouble figuring out which columns indicate throttle position and AFR.

ItzGenX

Postby ItzGenX » Sun May 15, 2016 9:27 am

I use Mega Log Viewer HD software (paid program). For the CSV, you have to right click, edit or open with notepad and change "ECU Manager" to "Haltech ESP" then save changes. After that, Mega Log Viewer can open it. It is a great tuning tool that works with most ECU log files.

oilteq

Postby oilteq » Sun May 15, 2016 9:50 am

I have the free version for now. I thought the difference was in the amount of data it would handle. It seemed to pick up rpm and throttle position okay, but afr was blank.

ItzGenX

Postby ItzGenX » Sun May 15, 2016 10:13 am

My AFR picks up fine on the Lamda1 channel.

oilteq

Postby oilteq » Sun May 15, 2016 10:23 am

I severely shortened the file and tried again. It works. Thank you for a great post.

oilteq

Postby oilteq » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:16 pm

I have begun tuning, using the MegaLog Viewer. My car is naturally aspirated and I do not live in the mountains, so throttle position is my load indicator. There are parts of the map that are rarely visited, but I still feel compelled to tune AFR for the whole map.

I am nearly done with the 20% load level. I set the Channel Activation feature on the Haltech data logger to start logging data at 20% throttle. I also use a throttle-stop to block my pedal from travelling past 20%. I live near a 2 lane highway that is not terribly busy where I put the 5-speed in 2nd gear, slow down to 1000 rpm, and then hold the pedal against the stop until I hit 6000 rpm. I come home, analyse the data with the MegaLog Viewer, make my adjustments, and then go again.

Return to “ECU Manager”