Fuel pump running with ignition off?

Questions about the Platinum Sprint series ECU settings or features? Ask here.
Mattymc

Fuel pump running with ignition off?

Postby Mattymc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:05 pm

I am wiring a sprint 500 into a Ford El Falcon 6 cylinder.

The problem that I am having is not matter how I wire the fuel pump relay I can not get it to function correctly.

I understand that the Haltech will ground to activate the fuel pump but I must be missing something. I have wired things as per the diagram in the manual and even this does not work.

As far as I understand on a relay pin 30 is +12v in from battery, pin 86 is switched +12v, pin 85 is the fuel pump trigger from the haltech and pin 87 is + out to the fuel pump.

The only way I have been able to get the relay to fire is by applying battery +12v to both pin 30 and 86 and then I get the fuel pump running with the key off and the pump shuts off with the key on.

I have tried to invert the fuel pump trigger but there is no change. Should I be using a particular type of relay with the haltech?.

I have tried a bosch 5 pin and an Narva 4 pin and get the same result.

Has anyone come across this sort of problem before?.

Is it possible that there is an issue with the haltech fuel pump trigger and is there a way to test the trigger wire.

Sorry if this sounds simple but I don't know where to go with this issue from here.

stevieturbo

Re: Fuel pump running with ignition off?

Postby stevieturbo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 am

Pin 86 would be an ignition based 12v. But as long as it has 12v, it will energise via the ecu.

If you manually apply an earth to pin 85, does the relay energise and fuel pump power up ?

And likewise with a meter, does the Haltech output a ground on key on, when it should prime ? and you have set the ecu to prime ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph, LS1 power :)
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Mattymc

Postby Mattymc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:39 pm

stevieturbo wrote:Pin 86 would be an ignition based 12v. But as long as it has 12v, it will energise via the ecu.

If you manually apply an earth to pin 85, does the relay energise and fuel pump power up ?

And likewise with a meter, does the Haltech output a ground on key on, when it should prime ? and you have set the ecu to prime ?

Thanks for the reply. If I manually apply earth to pin 85 it clicks and activates but only if I have 12v to 30 and 86.I will double check that the haltech is grounding with my multimeter.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction in ecu manager to check my settings for priming the fuel pump. I have activated the injectors in the software.

Cheers
Matthew

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:48 am

Mattymc wrote:
Thanks for the reply. If I manually apply earth to pin 85 it clicks and activates but only if I have 12v to 30 and 86.I will double check that the haltech is grounding with my multimeter.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction in ecu manager to check my settings for priming the fuel pump. I have activated the injectors in the software.

Cheers
Matthew

It'll either be in Setup, Main Setup, Basic, Fuel
Or Setup, Main Setup, Outputs, Fuel Pump

Looks like they've moved it about with different firmware versions

You'll see fuel pump prime time in seconds. I guess it is possible someone has set this to zero, although it would be weird if they did.
Pump should still energise when the engine is seen to rotate though
202mph standing mile

Mattymc

Postby Mattymc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:11 am

stevieturbo wrote:
Mattymc wrote:

Cheers
Matthew

It'll either be in Setup, Main Setup, Basic, Fuel
Or Setup, Main Setup, Outputs, Fuel Pump

Looks like they've moved it about with different firmware versions

You'll see fuel pump prime time in seconds. I guess it is possible someone has set this to zero, although it would be weird if they did.
Pump should still energise when the engine is seen to rotate though

I think that I have already checked that out. The prime time is is set to 3 seconds. I put the meter on the haltech trigger with the relay connected and I got a 5v reading down that wire. I have got the wiring wrong somewhere. Going to try and slowly track things back and check that the wiring is as it should be.

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:47 am

Mattymc wrote:
I think that I have already checked that out. The prime time is is set to 3 seconds. I put the meter on the haltech trigger with the relay connected and I got a 5v reading down that wire. I have got the wiring wrong somewhere. Going to try and slowly track things back and check that the wiring is as it should be.

In an "off" state, when testing between ecu output and battery ground, you may see 12v coming from the ecu. This would pull to ground when the ecu activates the output and in turn this would energise the relay coil.

You shouldnt be seeing 5v though
202mph standing mile

JohnPS

Postby JohnPS » Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 am

Just a quick question...
When you turn the key to give power etc, fuel pump trigger wire grounds and I can here the pump priming..

When does it ground again;ifuel pump works during cranking??..or when you exceed the cranking rpm??

In a friend's install I don't remember hearing the pump during cranking....car hasn't run yet

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed May 24, 2017 3:58 pm

As soon as it sees any trigger input it will turn on.

Return to “Platinum Sprint Series”