Switching VVT Solenoid directly from ECU vs Relay - 4AGE 20v

Questions about the Platinum Sprint series ECU settings or features? Ask here.
the-tech-guy

Switching VVT Solenoid directly from ECU vs Relay - 4AGE 20v

Postby the-tech-guy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I am wiring a Sprint 500 onto a blacktop 20v 4age and I am going to use an RPM switch to activate the solenoid at 1800rpm and turn it off at 6500rpm.

I know the OEM run the solenoid straight from the ECU but I have powered the solenoid and measured an amp draw of 880~900ma however the two dpo's on a sprint 500 have a maximum draw of 800ma.

Has anyone ran a solenoid straight off the dpo without any problems?

I would have thought that 100ma difference would be too marginal to have an impact.

The other option would be to use a relay but I don't like the delay of switching of the relay activating unless I found a suitable solid state relay.

The factory Solenoid is constantly powered and switched via earth, I have noticed that the sprint 500's dpo's are switched positive which would be opposite to the oem setup although I don't see this being an issue.

Appreciate anyone who can lend some advice!

Peterson

Re: Switching VVT Solenoid directly from ECU vs Relay - 4AGE 20v

Postby Peterson » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Give it a try and it will immediately show you if the DPO is up to the task or not.for example two wire BAC valve that haltech sell work's directly of the DPO without any SSR relay help.i have measured it with the help of a friend who is an electronic engineer and at almost 80% duty cycle which is the maximum setting the amperage draw was something more or less of 0.9 Amber.i have the strong feeling that 0.8 Amber is suggested as maximum in order to give the output longevity and reliability at long use.SSR relays have very fast opening and closing times no need to be worried about that.Also polarity at solenoids doesn't matter.if you are not feeling comfortable pushing your output at it's maximum then using a relay is the way to go.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:22 pm

I am sure we have seen these working before on PS500's

the-tech-guy

Postby the-tech-guy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:38 am

I have wired the solenoid straight to the ecu and so far so good.

If there are any problems I will update the thread when it happens but I think its fine.

Return to “Platinum Sprint Series”