Z33 no spark

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
__DRV__

Z33 no spark

Postby __DRV__ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi guys.
350Z Z33 with Platinum Pro plug in ecu has no spark while cranking.
It delivers one shot then ignition is switched on, but that's it.
ECU manager 1.14 shows 190-196 rpm while cranking.
All three sensors has 12v +, ground and ECU signal wires are OK (checked with 12v 60w light bulb).
Spark coils also has 12v+, ground.
ECU power supply and ground connections checked.

Observations:
ECU show no fault codes then ignition coils are disconnected.

Before losing spark car had upgrades: twin turbo setup, and clutch "pack". There is slight possibility that crank sensor wheel is misaligned, but, what's interesting, after upgrade car started few times, engine was running erratically and now it shows no life signs.

Is where any chance to check sensor synchronization without taking gearbox off?
Could any one specify what Haltech needs to deliver a spark: which power supply- ground wires and sensors it needs?
What about "home signal" , what is it and how to check it? How it's specified in ECU manager?

__DRV__

Re: Z33 no spark

Postby __DRV__ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:51 am

So far:
Check crank trigger wheel - tick
RPM - tick
Trigger count - tick
Check ignition coil power suply - tick
Check ignition coil wires - tick
Spark - 0

Any ideas?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 am

Current Engine Limiter is all clear?

__DRV__

Postby __DRV__ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:44 am

HaltechMatthew wrote:Current Engine Limiter is all clear?

Electrical current or "current" as now ongoing event?

Problems started long time ago after wiring and fuel swap, but all the time owner was thinking that problem of bad starting is fuel related (bad maping). Only when friend of mine checked for spark it made some doubts. Friend tried on his own, it didn't work so he asked for help.

All the time I was probing cyl. no. 1., but "for fun" decided to try others.
It was making stupid things on me:
You start cranking. Cranking for five seconds or so and only then spark appears in two cylinders.
"How it's possible" - I think, "oh, faulty ECU". I try ECU in another car - it works. Cars started few times with no problems.
"It's not ecu. What else?" Timing sensors. Swapped. Made no difference. In fact owner bought all three new ones from Nissan dealer. No success. Swapped with car on which ECU works. No gain.
Checked ignition coil wires, timing sensors wiring (two cam sensors and one crank), ECU power supply. No defects.
Tried logging to ECU. No fault codes, no noticeable issues. One thing caught my eye - it lags to show RPM then you start cranking, but maybe it's normal (never used that software so do not know)?

Information I gathered during the time:
Due to high under bonnet temperatures engine wiring insulation started cracking so guys changed engine loom, but the one available on a scrap yard at the time was from Infiniti RHD with square wide band sensor connectors. The car, meanwhile, is USDM 350z. Possible cause for problems.

Because of the same issue with high under bonnet temperature they used "metal based" heat shield/wrap for wire protection. Could it make any difference for signals shape due to electrical magnetic field dissipation problems.

Long story "short".

What's interesting if you play with car long enough (cranking, waiting, cranking again) it starts and runs.
Any clew where to watch or it's Ok ECU to hesitate before developing spark only in two cylinders while cranking? I'm new to such "technology".

Oh, it's running on E85 and 1000cc injectors if it makes difference.

__DRV__

Postby __DRV__ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:46 am

__DRV__ wrote:Cranking for five seconds or so and only then spark appears in two cylinders.

Maybe it's due disturbed cam timing synchronization?

__DRV__

Postby __DRV__ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:00 am

Oh, great!
Thanks.
It seems to be combined problem. Worn cam timing elements plus thick oil (10w60) plus low ambient temperature (-5 deg Celsius) made synchronization very tricky task to ask for.
If warm up oil pan up to 20 deg Celsius car starts with no problem, otherwise you have to crank up to five seconds (not more than 5s) in three - four tries while oil pressure builds up and chain tensioner pulls the chain, cam synchronization gets acceptable for ecu to develop a proper spark in all cylinders (read above about spark in two cylinders).
Why series of short cranks? Because fuel E85 and cold weather. Doing otherwise it floods four spark plugs (read above about spark in two cylinders), extremely backfires and wont start.

Yeah, I know, bad things happens, but it's great to have plenty of infos on how Haltech products work, excellent tech support and big, developed community.

After series youtube videos of MCM (Mighty Car Mods) and some other guys I wanted to try Haltech products.
I'm glad I had opportunity to try Haltech ecu. Never ever again...
Now I understand why best tuners in my country tried Haltech and ended with Motecs product.
Just great waste of time.

Guys, good luck fitting yours The Incredible Hulktechs.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Nice to see the problem is nothing at all to do with the ECU but it's still Haltech's fault.

From the first reply, the Current Engine Limiter is a channel in the ECU telling you if it is turning off the fuel or ignition for any particular reason for anyone else who stumbles onto this.

Next time if you or anyone needs tech support contact us through a much faster means. Phone, even email will get you much quicker and more accurate tech support from any of the 6 guys currently sitting on the phones all day in the room here. I have said it too many times on here, the forum is for users to talk to each other and staff will only comment when time permits and we are not helping everyone who calls, or emails, or facebook, or youtube, or carrier pigeon, or smoke signal... The forum can go weeks without being looked at by us.

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”