Wire dry contact switch to DPI on I/O Expander..wont work

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
cux350z

Wire dry contact switch to DPI on I/O Expander..wont work

Postby cux350z » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Ok...not sure why haltech has to make this so hard and confusing. Manual says 12v, ECU manager says 5v and then a bunch of talk about pull up, pull down resistors and basic config on the ECU manager for rising or falling.

Haltech seems to leave out so many details....i love my ECU but its like yall are baked when write manuals/fw for it.

Current situation: I have 4 DPI on my IO expander box, rev A. I want to wire it a set of Normally Open dry contacts from a relay to tell the ECU when meth is or is not enabled so that I can limit my boost. Sounds easy right?

I have all 4 inputs wired up to separate 3 pin connectors. Each has an accompanying 12v and GND signal from the IO box harness (not from ecu or chassis gnd)
Each input is floating 5v about ground.

How should I wire it to the two wires on the relay (brown and white on my aquamist harness) to make this work. Wiring to AVI works with just the 2 wires, one going to 5v and the other going to the signal. For some reason in haltech...even selecting it as a digital signal wired to a Analog input with the on thresh as 4v and off as 1v....does not work. Must make it a pure analog.

When i configure it in the program, i am calling it a NOS switch. You would think that haltech would have a "meth enabled" switch considering its popularity.

What I suspect the config should be:
Brown wire to 12v
White Wire to signal
1k resister from signal to ground
Set for rising edge in program
When contacts are open on relay, signal is OFF. When contacts are closed, signal is ON.

I have tried that with a LED in series with resister. Led is dim at first, then when i turn the meth system on, it gets brighter. No change on the input to the ECU.

Thanks ahead of time Matt.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Wire dry contact switch to DPI on I/O Expander..wont work

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Don't thank me yet 8)

DPIs are hardware limited to the type of signal that can be used to switch them. The threshold either rising or falling is 2.5V, and hardware has them pulled up to 5V, so they will only switch correctly from a floating condition if connected to ground, not a 12V signal.

AVI's can be switched high or low.

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 am

Then why does the manual say to wire up 12v? ECU manager talks about 5v. I have a 5v output from the aquamist and a NO/NC relay.

So what you are saying is to tie the Signal input pin and GND pin through the relay contact?

Some posts on here mention a 1k ohm resistor.

Like i said in my post...would be good if haltech released a definitive answer.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm

You could try a pull to ground resistor but I am simply reporting what the firmware and hardware engineers have said with regard to the IO12. Maybe there is a documentation error that someone will look into.

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:26 am

like i said...its relay dry contacts so i can wire it to anything...just need haltech to say what it should be. I also have a 5v output from the aquamist that i could use.

From the manual:

Digital Pulsed Inputs ( DPI )
The Haltech I/O Expander 12 features 4 Digital Pulsed Inputs. Each input has been
grouped with a +12V DC Source and a signal ground within the harness, this allows
the user to fit an external pull-up to 12V or pull- down to ground resistor if required
and or to supply power to a 12V rated sensor.
Digital Pulsed Inputs are capable of accepting pulsed input information such as
for a road speed sensor. These inputs measure the time periods between the pulses
and can process this information to provide quantities such as road speed

Ecu manager talks about 5v, 10kohm pull ups ect....not very consistent.

So how should i wire....in laymens terms.

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:50 am

tried wiring it from signal to ground across the dry contacts of the relay....set in manager to falling. no state change. set to rising..no state change.

Getting a bit frustrated here. Its not like the io box is cheap.

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 am

so glad I own this POS io expander box....

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 am

bump

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 pm

You tell me what is happening.

2.5V is the crossover and do you actually see it switch from one side of this to the other?

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:55 am

Whole lotta nothing is happening.

Just wish haltech would get their act together and produce manuals that matched what the software said and drew an actual diagram.

Ive tried every combo of wiring/resistor etc. It shouldn't be this complicated. I do not want to have to wire it to a Analog input just to get it to work. I should be able to use a DPI as a low/high on/off input.

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:40 am

Solved.....

Haltech needs to get their shit together.

You need to use the 5v signal that the AVI's use.
Put a 1k ohm resistor from the 5 volt signal to the input pin.
To trigger, connect the input pin to the gnd through dry contacts.

cux350z

Postby cux350z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:19 am

Also to go into more detail..haltech must program things differently depending on which input you select for your DPI.

Nos switch....cannot get it to work. No additional tab shows up for config
Test swtich...works perfectly and can be used in tuning. No additional tag shows up for config.

Use the rising and falling setting to set the default state of on or off. Once you gnd out the signal wire, the state will change.

I have it configured as a test input, when on it will add to my target boot levels, when off it does nothing. This will allow me to use meth and run higher boost.

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”