RBZ32 using R32/33Pro for Thermo Fan Control

Questions about the Platinum Pro Plug-in ECU's? Ask here.
BCs300z

RBZ32 using R32/33Pro for Thermo Fan Control

Postby BCs300z » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:41 am

I am nearing the completion of an RB26DETT swap into a Z32 and I am running into a spot of confusion in wiring the radiator fan to the Haltech.

First, all is well with the wiring. 12V switched input to 30 on relay, Output voltage to fan on 87. 12V switched input to 85 and 86 ran to DSO1 input on Haltech Aux connector (pin 13) for switched ground. This is a built subharness that makes direct connections, nothing original to either chassis or engine

The engine is currently not running, due to a leak in the coolant system, so note that all testing is being done with engine stopped and car switched ON.

I am trying to manipulate the settings in the menu --> Thermofan (switch) to be lower (65*F) than the ambient temp (80*F) and trigger the fan, to ensure all is well. But no luck. If I disconnect AUX from ECU and connect to ground, relay triggers and fan comes on. But the ECU is not triggering.

I have tried pinning the relay to DPOs and the DSO. Still can't manipulate the ECU to think it needs to turn on fan.

When I make the change in the program, I am restarting ECU. Again, circuit works perfectly without ECU; manually grounding relay pin 86.

Is there something about the DSO outputs that makes them INOP when the engine is not running?

BCs300z

Re: RBZ32 using R32/33Pro for Thermo Fan Control

Postby BCs300z » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 am

Here is the million dollar question that may solve my problems...

In the manual, there is a picture of the AUX cable plug with corresponding pin numbers in it.

Does this picture represent the front or the back of the plug? Am I looking (face on) at the side the wires are inserted into, or the side that mates with the ECU?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 am

Always the wiring side, and there actually should be pin numbers on the connector shell.

BCs300z

Postby BCs300z » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it 'appears' this is a quick set and spike issue. I got things working and thought that I would post the fix/findings here for future searches.

I am still using DSO1 (pin13) on the ECU. However, I changed the DSO to perform as a 'Coolant Temp Switch' rather than a 'ThermoFan switch'.

Once in the ECU, with the engine OFF and IGNITION ON, I changed the activation temp on the switch to 75*F (5*F below ambient). The relay clicked and the fan came on straight away. When trying to reverse this (changing the trigger temp to 95*F) I didn't have the same luck. The fan remained on. ***In hind-sight, this is probably because I didn't change the OFF trigger temp to be above the current ambient temp***

However, with a quick cycling of power, the fan did not turn on, since the engine was below the ON trigger value.

I am satisfied this was the fix, so I hope it helps others.

Return to “Platinum Pro Plug-in”