Bikes Running Haltech...

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Bikes Running Haltech...

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:15 am

Thought some of you might be interested to see something a little different running on an Elite 2500. My personal Kawasaki Z1000.

Converted with a custom made patch harness so that it can be quickly switched back to OEM for any testing. The Elite controls all factory functions including the sub-throttle system, with the dash also fully functional. Next to the ECU you may spot an OBD2 cable and a WiFi adaptor which sends live data to my phone for quick monitoring on the road. Under the seat is a CAN WBC1 with a gauge placed up near the dash, and also a knock sensor has been added to the front of the block to keep an eye on things. Ignition is now run via a HPI4 also tucked in near the ECU.

Most of the tuning has been done via Long Term learning and data logging. The dyno was used only to obtain the knock frequency, but otherwise it is all road tuned. The bike does ride smoother than the stock ECU as well as having a much softer RPM limiter. It cold starts better as well, and fires up instantly off the button at all temperatures without touching the throttle. When time allows I will add a sensor to the gear selector to allow flat shifting, and launch control is set up and ready for testing.

Although it is probably not an economical way of tuning a mildly modified bike for normal use, it is a good test platform for development. I have been planning a turbo for a while and now the groundwork has been done the project can start moving forward.

andrewdask

Re: Bikes Running Haltech...

Postby andrewdask » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:41 am

This is amazing man! im from a Formula SAE team in venezuela, were we build a formula type car (our uses a kawasaki zx6-RR engine 599 cc 4 cylinders) to compete with universities around the world. Right now were are trying to hook up a haltech elite 1500, but we are having troubles because we didn't get an igniter (weren't informed we needed one) and also a bit of a trouble to get the ECU to read the Crank position sensor signal correctly.
How did you managed this problems i would be happy to get some some help! thanks a lot in advance and beautiful ride you have got there!

Cheers!

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Bikes Running Haltech...

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:03 pm

I had zero issues with the crank and cam signals. Wired off the OEM diagram and pretty much just told it the trigger pattern, guessed the TDC Offset by looking at the sensor position when the trigger was on TDC and got it within 2 deg. Double checked with a scope afterwards to ensure polarity was correct, and it was.

You always need an ignitor. Many bike ECUs have them built into the ECU, whereas we need to support all types of ignitions.

The bike has actually been sold a few months ago. Minus all the Haltech gear of course. The bike made more power across the board, used less fuel, and rode so much better on the Elite over the old OEM ECU and a PC3.

Return to “Cars Running Haltech”