New to EFI question

mustangfreddy

New to EFI question

Postby mustangfreddy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:23 am

Need some help,

I recently bought a 65 Mustang with stacked EFI injection system running a Haltech F10X ECU . The car is running rough. I have had several earl y mustangs but first one with EFI and stacked system. I have always run carbureated system in my other cars with no problems. I have the car at a very qualified tuner shop to get dialed in and recommending upgrade of ECU. This car has some nice high end components but concerned about costs of staying with EFI. About $3k to upgrade box and set up. Is EFI once dialed in properly that superior or high maintenance? Would like to keep these components on the car but concerned about a endless money pit. Any input on those that have converted and is it worth the investment? I know Haltech makes a great product and system if set up properly. Some input from those veteran EFI guys appreciated?

BRIAN MP5T

Re: New to EFI question

Postby BRIAN MP5T » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 am

EFI when properly installed and tuned is Rock solid and offers vastly superior control over the engine.

Carb vs EFI is like comparing an Axe and an Exaco Knife. Both will cut a piece of paper, if you catch my drift.

If you want full control over Fuel and Spark, EFI is the way to go.

If you are worried about money then this might not be the place for you.

Modifing a car isn't ever a good investment. It is a passion and an evolution.

I personally decided to install and tune a Haltech ECU From scratch because it is my hobby and something I wanted to learn.

If all you want is to have a tech install and tune your car, then I strongly recommend selecting a good tuner who isn't thousands of miles away.

mustangfreddy

Re: New to EFI question

Postby mustangfreddy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Appreciate the comments. Agree that the overall benefits are worthwhile and if cost is an issue than I shouldnt pursue EFI. I have never cut corners on my other vehicles and have a good tuner shop that I am confident will get this car dialed in. Thanks for input.

Return to “Cars Running Haltech”