Toyota 1UZFE and an Elite 2000 (or other Haltech ecu), anyone?

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
flyinhawaiian968

Toyota 1UZFE and an Elite 2000 (or other Haltech ecu), anyone?

Postby flyinhawaiian968 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:36 am

Hey all,

I'm building an '85 Supra right now with a 1UZFE engine as its transplant, and I've decided to scrap the whole idea of running the stock ecu that came with the engine for various reasons, but this will be the first time I've ever run an aftermarket ecu on any of my vehicles.

I was curious if anyone's done a Haltech ecu on this engine and wouldn't mind giving me some pointers/recommendations/list of things not to do! The engine is a '97 non-vvti, fresh build with no run time at all on it so far. I've purchased, on the recommendation of my local shop who will be doing the final tuning on it, an Elite 2000 ecu. Plans so far are to run the stock crank and cam triggers, narrow band o2 sensors (at least for now) and will use the stock denso tps, as well as 8 denso coil on plugs, pn 90919-02230.

Thanks guys!
Chris
Attachments
1uz.jpg

blakebonkofsky

Re: Toyota 1UZFE and an Elite 2000 (or other Haltech ecu), anyone?

Postby blakebonkofsky » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 pm

I would ditch the narrowband o2's and get a WBC2, but otherwise you should be fine with all stock sensors.

flyinhawaiian968

Postby flyinhawaiian968 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 am

Thanks Blake for the suggestion. I asked my tuner about having to install it, but he said it wouldn't be necessary if I'm having them tune the car on their dyno, so am i wrong in thinking that this kit will self-tune the ecu?

As you can probably tell, I am a noob to standalone ecus at this point!

blakebonkofsky

Postby blakebonkofsky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:07 am

It's a matter of preference. If they are going to tune it completely, you don't NEED an onboard wideband, but it's something I like to see on all the cars I work with. I look at it the same way I look at an oil pressure gauge. Sure, you could fit one only during break in and it could be right for the first 10 miles. But, get out in the real world and things change all the time. Just because oil pressure was good at mile #10, doesn't mean it's still good at mile #1000. The same things happen with fuel systems and tuning. Fuel injectors clog, fuel pumps/regulators fail, temp or baro changes, etc.

As far as self tuning, yes. The Elite's are capable of short term and long term fuel tuning automatically, but need a wideband to do so effectively.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am

As your title says, the Elite 2000 is the model to pick so you have done well there. These are fairly straight forward engines to work with we even used a 1UZ as a development mule for 15 years or so through the late 90's to 00's.

As mentioned, go the widebands and the rest of the OEM sensors will be fine.

flyinhawaiian968

Postby flyinhawaiian968 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 am

Awesome! Thanks guys! Now, the next question is, which one should I be looking at buying? I've searched all over but can't seem to see a difference between the different models! Nothing in the sales page say anything about them. So, box A, B, C or D? I'm assuming it depends on the ecu I'm going with? Or is there something more to it?

blakebonkofsky

Postby blakebonkofsky » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:20 am

flyinhawaiian968 wrote:Awesome! Thanks guys! Now, the next question is, which one should I be looking at buying? I've searched all over but can't seem to see a difference between the different models! Nothing in the sales page say anything about them. So, box A, B, C or D? I'm assuming it depends on the ecu I'm going with? Or is there something more to it?

The different models are for when you use multiple widebands on the same CAN setup. I guess you could use any one of the A, B, C or D boxes, but you could not use more than 1 of the same designation.

Return to “Elite Series”