Strain Gauge Shifting

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
rpt109

Strain Gauge Shifting

Postby rpt109 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:59 am

Is the Elite Series ECU capable of utilizing a strain gauge for clutchless, full throttle shifting? I see that there's a flat shift setup, but no cut time or other common settings you would normally see when setting up a strain shift.

blakebonkofsky

Re: Strain Gauge Shifting

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:08 am

Check my reply here, someone else just asked something very similar.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13122#p45522

rpt109

Postby rpt109 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:32 am

That does help a little. However, I'm also looking for parameters such as hysterisis, timing ramp after cut, cut voltage activation, etc. When using a strain it's going to be 2.5 volts in "neutral", then above or below that +/- a volt or so when applying pressure to the shifter. I wasn't sure if I needed to do some sort of setup with a generic digital input and build my own table or what to make this happen, but even then it seems like options are limited. A simple on/off flatshift setup won't work for me. I love the Elite ECU and I know it's capable of doing this, I just need to know how

blakebonkofsky

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 am

I will say that I have never used a strain gauge, but I am at least familiar with the concept. Perhaps this will spark some ideas for you.

To get an analog voltage to function as a switch with both positive and negative transitions from 2.5v (neutral), I would try something like this.

Generic Input 1 (Strain) Calibration (voltages can be adjusted to suit the gauge.

strain1.png

strain2.png

Configure Flat Shift to use Conditional Input only. Then try this for setup. This won't get you an ignition ramp in, but it should cover the rest of what you mentioned. The "Blockout" is your hysteresis, preventing it from triggering twice.

strain3.png

Flat Shift Max Time will be your cut duration during the event. These are all Haltech default values (minus the voltage calibration, that I just made up based on what you said about the voltages), so I have no idea how well they'd work. I assume you'd want a much shorter time on the cut duration at least.

Hopefully this helps at least give you some ideas to try. I'm sure someone with much more experience than myself can point you in the right direction if I'm way off base.

rpt109

Postby rpt109 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:14 am

See? I knew there would be a roundabout way of making it work. That seems like it would be a fairly simple strategy to make this happen. I'm sure I could figure out a timing ramp, although it's not completely necessary. Thank you for your help and creativity

blakebonkofsky

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:34 am

I'm a little surprised with as involved Haltech has been with drag racing in recent years, that there is not a dedicated strain gauge shifting function already available. I'm sure it's in the works though, many cars would benefit from it, and I wouldn't think it would be TOO hard to implement.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Updates for flat shifting are due in one of the next firmware releases.

jatuned

Postby jatuned » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 am

has this been implemented in the firmware change?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm

This one is complicated. Contact us directly and we will try to help you out.

jatuned

Postby jatuned » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:28 am

I have contacted you via pm and also called haltech North America as I’m in the states. I was told you have an experimental firmware with closed loop flatshift but only for 2500 elite and I have a 1500 elite. I’ll message you again.

Return to “Elite Series”