Elite VMS-T Advise

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
RoyGman

Elite VMS-T Advise

Postby RoyGman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:55 am

Looking to step into the world of electronic control at it's most simplistic level.

I current drag race the vehicle and I generally run 8.50 in the 1/4 mile. Carburated with Speedtech nitrous plate.
I am setting up the car with a driveshaft sensor but I'm not sure which sensor kit is recommended. Controlling timing and nitrous are most likely the only 2 things I can see be able to control here.
I was considering getting away from distributor and doing coil on plug MSD if there is something to be gain as well via the Elite VMS-T setup. Any positive direction is greatly appreciated.

I also currently using an MSD crank trigger with MSD 7AL
RG :mrgreen:
Thanks
RG 8)

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: Elite VMS-T Advise

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:06 pm

The VMS will do all that you have mentioned, but to get more out of it for your application you more need to know what you want it to do for you. If that makes sense.

RoyGman

Postby RoyGman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am

HaltechMatthew wrote:The VMS will do all that you have mentioned, but to get more out of it for your application you more need to know what you want it to do for you. If that makes sense.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for replying. Looking to get answers on what the VMS-T will be able to offer me given my current type of car.

Being that I currently have a carburated/nitrous injected BBC vehicle with a PG and transbrake with electric lock up at top end. I know that I really don't have to many choices when it comes to ramping power in or out during a pass, unlike efi, turbo vehicles. I know explaining what my current car is can be vague so bear with me.

[list=][/list]I would imagine first off I would want to monitor driveshaft speed to determine wheel spin. What sensor does Haltech reccomend? I see different type also with different amount of teeth? Which one is correct for my application?

[list=][/list]Then I wonder if upgrading my current crank trigger MSD 7AL to a coil on plug type system will give me a benefit in added control via the VMS-T? Being that I have the MSD crank trigger currently. Do I have to change to one with different teeth, don't know?

[list=][/list]Of course progressive control of nitrous I would imagine is possible also with slightly adjusting timing throughout the pass, correct? This in-turn controlling transbrake release combined with two-step?

I have a goo knowledge of systems and I'm thinking that if I look at the software it might answer some questions as well of what the VMS-T will allow me to see, control, change and log.

Any insight you can help with on making the move to EMS system would help.

Thanks
RG 8)
Thanks
RG 8)

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm

You can use just about any type of driveshaft sensor. The ECU just needs to see a signal come in and many people will use a driveshaft collar and sensor like the Racepak units. This will allow mapped driveshaft RPM control to occur.

You can use the existing MSD style crank trigger, but you will need a Cam sensor for the ECU to know which cylinder is firing and allow direct fire ignition. I believe they make single tooth pickup replacements for this purpose for most engines.

Correct on the N2O, 2-step and transbrake. All programmable.

And yes, the best way is to see what it can do is to grab the ESP software and after installing create a new VMS-T file and play from there.

Return to “Elite Series”