Q about ION Sensing for knock control - and AWD control

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
danibjor

Re: Q about ION Sensing for knock control - and AWD control

Postby danibjor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:19 pm

A regular knock sensor is really just a microphone tuned to a specific frequency. If the output from this is (ac-coupled) +/- 2.5v (to fit into the 0-5v range respective to ground), then you should be able to hook up the 0-5v signal that comes from the ION/knock-unit. After all, it's just a waveform from a glorified microphone.

Could someone from Haltech please comment on this?

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:51 am

I am just surprised that for someone saying the RB26 is fragile you are willing to experiment with technology so untested in the wider aftermarket. Why not just use a normal knock sensor, tune the engine, and move on, when you have an ECU that is built to handle this sensor already...

andrey

Postby andrey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:27 pm

I know it's an old thread but since this thread has a lot about this thread has so much info about Trionic T8 55352173 Ionization Detection Module.

Where is the source of 120v located? Is this happening inside the special magic 12787707 H6T60271 COPs, or is it produced by Ionization Detection Module, or maybe even by main ECU?

Drwaffles

Postby Drwaffles » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm

I've dealt with ION-sense on the Harley Delphi ECU's when we tune them at work, and I can say with 99% confidence that it's a poverty pack solution. It's for manufacturers that are too cheap to include a proper knock sensor.

Any change to the efficiency of the motor and the calibration value turn to crap due to the cylinder pressure changes.
I've had bikes on the dyno (with a different exhaust only) that are trying to pull 6+ degrees of timing with zero knock actually occurring. One with pistons and cams, I even went to the extent of manually pulling 15 degrees out, and it still tried to pull out 8 degrees of timing for apparent severe knock. We just turn it off now and tune to MBT plus safety margin, it's a shit system.

The Indian ECU's run a Bosch unit with a proper knock sensor, from memory they push timing on the front cylinder so it's the one to knock first.

Return to “Elite Series”