WHAT IS A BASE MAP?

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

WHAT IS A BASE MAP?

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Because it is common for us to receive requests for base maps I thought it appropriate to comment on this.

A Base Map is exactly as its name suggests. It is typically a map file that has the configuration done to allow you to start the engine. In other words, a baseline from which to start.

What Haltech does not do is provide Tuned Maps. I would see a number of requests every day for something like: Do you have a base map for a Nissan RB25 with 292 cams, 1700cc injectors, coils off something in the garage that we don't know what they are, custom plenum, with XYZ turbo on flex fuel, oh and the block is painted red? The immediate answer is a resounding NO.

Haltech does provide base maps for many applications, but even we have not seen every engine type that exists with every ECU model. We do our best to have this information, but the reality is that it is not difficult at all to make your own base map. That is exactly what I am going to discuss right now. Let use the above example of an RB25.

* We of course we know it is a 6-cylinder. If you didn't know this, please return the ECU for a full refund and hand in your drivers licence. Enter 6 as the number of cylinders.

* You know it is a 2500cc engine because the 25 is part of the name, so this can be entered for the displacement. If this is confusing you should also consider giving up playing with cars.

* Almost all inline 6-cylinders have a firing order of 153624. When in doubt some Googling will find this.

* The trigger side of things is fairly easy. Select Nissan RB25 as the trigger type. It doesn't get any easier!

* The sensors are also fairly easy. It is an optical disc which gives an ON/OFF signal which is the same as a Hall Effect signal. So set to Hall Effect.

* The edges for Trigger and Home are something to note. If you don't know what edge to use, THEN ASK US EXACLTY THIS QUESTION. If you get this setting wrong you wont break anything, it just wont sync properly.

* For the ignition output almost all modern ignition systems are Constant Charge with Falling edge. The exceptions are some Honda distributors which use a Rising edge (but NOBODY plays with them anymore do they? :mrgreen: ), and MSD style CDI boxes that were designed for points ignitions where a Constant Duty with Rising edge setting is used. If you select the wrong type here you will break the ignitor, coil, and possibly the ECU. When in doubt, do a little research.

* Coil charge time is also something that a little googling will find. When in doubt keep it low until the right number is found. A current clamp and USB scope will find this in almost no time, so if you have this relatively cheap equipment you can also find the charge time of any coil.

* You know the injector flow rate. Enter it into the correct table found in the Injection folder. Same for the dead time, which is not that important at this point. Changing the injector flow rate will update all relevant fuel tables and give fuelling close enough to make it start.

* I left this one until last. The TDC Offset tells the ECU where the first trigger event occurs after the cam (home) pickup in degrees BTDC. Because most of you will be using 4-stroke piston engines this number will be between 0 and 719. If I need to explain why the number is 719 then you need to also do some googling on how a 4-stroke engine works. You don't need to know this number. It is found by connecting a timing light to number 1 cylinder and cranking the engine. Adjust the TDC Offset until the timing matches between the ECU and the crank. This process should be done on EVERY INSTALLATION, even if we give you the number. If it does not run with the timing lined up, you are probably off by 360 degrees.

We now have enough data to attempt to start the engine. In other words, you have a base map and you did it all yourself! The only thing you may need to ask us in this example are the edges for the trigger and home, which is a much simpler question than asking for a base map. (Rising for both edges is what is needed)

frr2000

Re: WHAT IS A BASE MAP?

Postby frr2000 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:56 am

Thank you for the detailed explanation - will have a play.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:32 am

Exactly what I want to here!!! Have a play and you will find it is relatively easy to do. When you get stuck, contact us directly for tech support.

You will also feel much better knowing you started it yourself. :D

BTW, going through the above process you will notice that there was no mention of adjusting any main tables. To fire an engine up the tables themselves should not really need to be adjusted. This all happens after the engine is running at which point you are working on your Tuned Map. It is also why we recommend using VE as the tuning method because most of the configuration is done through known information like the engine type, injector flow, etc...

full-fast

Postby full-fast » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 am

Thank you ... Great

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:50 pm

are there elite basemaps available?
It seems they are compatible with Ecumanager?
I would advice to review the 93-96wrx basemap, i see it has wasted spark selected and also dwell time seems high
Making people fly!

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:35 am

You are correct. One of the applications guys has buggered up the base map for the 93-96. It looks more like a 97-98 map. I will have words!

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm

This should be more suitable.

The Application Team will update ESP to have the new map, and any other places it appears.
Attachments
MY93-96 WRX PNP_20171023-130207.zip
Updated base map
(38.37 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

jasaircraft

Postby jasaircraft » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:16 am

thanks
Making people fly!

Return to “Elite Series”