R32 GTR Elite 2000 VSS Issue - SOLVED

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
OSTMicah

R32 GTR Elite 2000 VSS Issue - SOLVED

Postby OSTMicah » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:13 am

Hi All,

I am having an issue with the VSS in my car. My Elite has the default pulses set but will not record any MPH until I am moving at around 10mph. At this point the recorded MPH jumps to 14,756mph and then to 20,760mph. These are the only two MPH it shows and it just jumps between them depending on my speed.

Things I have done:
- tried to re-calibrate the speed sensor in the Elite (default pulses is something like 2458. Re-calibrated pulses was something like 16,000 and only lowered the mph numbers displayed)
- switch the type of sensor and the pull-up
- checked continuity of the VSS wire at the back of the cluster and the ECU
- dissembled the speedometer to verify no broken parts
- ensured my speedometer reads correctly

All of these items did not correct the issue. Changing the sensor and re-calibrating it obviously had effects but did not fix it.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thank you,

Micah

OSTMicah

Re: R32 GTR Elite 2000 VSS Issue

Postby OSTMicah » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am

I have now switched to an Elite 2500 to test the VSS filter. This only slows down the switching between the two speeds.

Can I get some help on this? Are others out there successfully using the VSS signal on their cars?

JDM Boyscout

Postby JDM Boyscout » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:26 pm

HI

I have the same issue with my r32 gtr with elite 2000 reading very high speed with spike at 20 000MPH with the basemap setting.

Here my setting and it read ways better but still have some spike that goes arounds 110mph to 200mph.

Did you have Nismo speedometer that goes 260 km\h ? Maybe it related...

2018-08-14.png
2018-08-14 (1).png

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Thank you for the reply. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

I am using the stock speedometer. It just counts pulses and reads higher on the face so that should not make any difference.

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 am

After speaking with many people at Haltech (all who seem to be unsure of a fix) I spoke with one tech who said plainly that it cannot be done through the factory VSS. He suggested this was because the VSS cable creates too much noise and fluctuation to read on the new Elite software (as opposed to the Platinum). The fix I am going to try is to grab signal from one one of the ABS speed sensors. I'd actually like to grab one front and one rear so I can accurately see wheelspin on launch.

I'll keep this thread updated with my results as it seems to have a lot of views.

duz10s+gtr

Postby duz10s+gtr » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:11 am

Hi please keep me updated on this as I'm about to wire in the same and was just going to grab one of the wheel speed sensors

duz10s+gtr

Postby duz10s+gtr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:08 pm

OSTMicah wrote:After speaking with many people at Haltech (all who seem to be unsure of a fix) I spoke with one tech who said plainly that it cannot be done through the factory VSS. He suggested this was because the VSS cable creates too much noise and fluctuation to read on the new Elite software (as opposed to the Platinum). The fix I am going to try is to grab signal from one one of the ABS speed sensors. I'd actually like to grab one front and one rear so I can accurately see wheelspin on launch.

I'll keep this thread updated with my results as it seems to have a lot of views.

How did you go with this?

HaltechAdam
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechAdam » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Sensor Filtering for vss now available on 2.28 firmware

Added Filtering to vehicle speed sensors.
Smoothing filters were added to all vehicle speed sensors
Additional filtering is accessible through the Vehicle Speed Filter Scale in sensor properties

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 am

HaltechAdam wrote:Sensor Filtering for vss now available on 2.28 firmware

Added Filtering to vehicle speed sensors.
Smoothing filters were added to all vehicle speed sensors
Additional filtering is accessible through the Vehicle Speed Filter Scale in sensor properties

Thanks, Adam. I just got the new firmware uploaded to the Elite. I'll be doing some testing soon and updating this thread with my findings.

I could only find one VSS signal filter. The other new piece is a driveshaft speed tooth count setting as well as a driveshaft tooth speed spike filter (the correct name escapes me).

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am

Adam,

I gave the firmware (2.30.0) a try today. I first logged all Vehicle Speed and Driveshaft Speed channels with the default settings of the new firmware. First I recalibrated my VSS. There was no change to my VSS readings (still jumping from one obviously false speed to another) so I started cranking up the filter. This only slowed the rate of change between the nonsensical numbers. Next I attempted to figure out the instructions for the Max Derivative number in the functions tab (screenshot attached). I'm unsure of what the actual Equation needs to be as the Math Function setup requires variables for the Equation portion and none are explicitly listed in the help bubble. I guessed at what the equation should be but that really got me nowhere. I then started changing the Max Derivative in increments of 1000 starting at 500 all the way up to the maximum (there were times I doubled or tripled the increment). This was obviously not scientific but I just wanted to see SOME sort of change. I noticed no change whatsoever.

Could the Tooth Count of 8 be incorrect? Just a thought. The fact that the pulse count is significantly higher than the default must be significant.

Below is a link to my log project and log file in Dropbox. Hopefully I did it correctly. The log was done with a filter of 0 and a Max Derivative of 675 (again, no change in speed accuracy was noticed from different derivative values). I release the clutch at idle in first gear and slowly add throttle until shifting into second and then into third (the two RPM dips are shifts). The log starts with the wheels stopped and ends with the wheels stopped.

Log Project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjdttpq7j6uz3 ... ct.dl?dl=0
Log File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ahdureqjc5ok ... g.csv?dl=0

I have the car in the air in my garage as it's winter here. I'll be able to do any testing you require or suggest. Please let me know your thoughts and guidance on this.
Attachments
VSS Derivative Instructions.png

frr2000

Postby frr2000 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:17 am

Not working for me also. I’m on 2.28

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:11 am

frr2000 wrote:Not working for me also. I’m on 2.28

What are your calibration numbers? I was recently shown a screenshot from a Facebook group member and he has about 1200 pulses at 60km/h compared to my 20,000 or so pulses at the same speed.

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:39 am

Haltech was very helpful last night in attempting to help fix this issue. Dave remoted in and did some tests concluding that my speed wire to the ECU was seeing a "buzz" from some outside signal. Luke has also been giving helpful suggestions on Facebook. Thanks, guys!

I think I was able to prove this morning that the speed wire is not seeing a constant "buzzing". With ignition on or the car running the vehicle speed stays at 0. Only with the wheels turning does the speed go to some crazy high number. To me this put a hole in the theory but I'm not about to discredit anything.

I switched the edge type from falling to rising and disabled the pull-up. This made the speed go smoothly from 0 to about 10kmph before again jumping to about 80,000kmph. I then tried calibrating the VSS at 20kmph. It still calibrated at about 200,000 pulses and threw off the smooth 0-10kmph change I had just witnessed. I threw in 5000 pulses as the calibration value at 20kmph and BOOM, a somewhat accurate VSS reading. I kept playing with the pulses until it was close. The speed still jumps around but only plus or minus 5kmph of the correct speed. This may be because of the cable now.

I only tested up to about 30kmph as the car is only on jack stands and there's snow on the ground. However, the speed rose smoothly from 0 to 30, remained at 30 as it should (bouncing around +/-5kmph), and returned to 0 as I slowed the car. This may have been the fix but I'll need higher speeds to confirm. A vast improvement over what I have had in the past. More testing to come. I'll get some datalogs for the guys at Haltech and see what they think. I will also post them here.

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am

Some more testing tonight. I had to play with the Max Derivative number to keep out spikes that were occurring after the car came to a stop. Other than that, there were no changes from this morning. See the screenshots below of the datalog and VSS settings in the functions tab. The speed is definitely choppy but I can certainly live with that. Again, that may be the cable causing issues.

One thing I did notice that isn't of huge concern is that the vehicle speed reads smoothly in the display without datalogging but once the log is started it gets very choppy and eventually ceases to change at all until the log is stopped. The actual datalog does not reflect this; it is only in the display.

Extremely glad to have this working! If anyone has any questions please let me know and I'll try to help.
Attachments
VSS Setting 3.png
VSS Setting 2.png
VSS Setting 1.png

OSTMicah

Postby OSTMicah » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 am

Too large attachments for one post? Not sure. Here's the datalog screenshot.

The log was taken starting with the vehicle at rest and shifting from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd, and then neutral to a stop.
Attachments
VSS Datalog Screenshot.png

Return to “Elite Series”