AEM EPM SR16 Haltech 1500 Ignition problem

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
pablogaviria

AEM EPM SR16 Haltech 1500 Ignition problem

Postby pablogaviria » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:24 am

Hi,

I called yesterday because im having an igntion problem and i havent solve it yet. I am using a haltech 1500 Elite in a nissan SR16ve engine with waste spark ignition... this setup used to work with a hall effect trigger sensor and a 30-2, although it had some errors in the ECU and the assembly wasn´t sturdy enought for an endurence race, the car ran well and the ignition was ok.

In order to improve the relaiability i bougth an AEM EPM sensor. I installed it and i was able to turn on the engine and set up the spark with the ignition locked and a timing light.

The problem is that when i unlock the ignition there is a ghost TDC mark or two marks at the same time (physically there is only one mark) and when i accelerate the engine, the timing drift more than 100 degrees. Video (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PSVq ... Ib3RLd0Y...)

One odd behaviour is that the rpm limiter is set to limit at 8000rpm and the ecu is limiting at 6300rpm.

Let me know if you need more detailed information.
Attachments
IGNITION PROBLEM.zip
(69.92 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

blakebonkofsky

Re: AEM EPM SR16 Haltech 1500 Ignition problem

Postby blakebonkofsky » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:35 pm

I have only had experience with the EPM on a single engine, a turbo Honda H22, but it was not good. Timing drift of +/- 15* as RPM would increase towards 9000rpm. Serious misfires and overall poor performance over 4000 rpm. We ended up switching to a Hall effect based crank trigger using an ATI Damper with 2 magnets. The EPM is used purely for the home signal now, as the timing of that point is not nearly as critical as the actual crank trigger.

injectedvair

Postby injectedvair » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 am

there are two critical places with the AEM unit, they are accurate machining of the drive it must be concentric, as per the instructions; installation of the elastomeric "u" shaped damper. We had engines that reach the 8000rpm range with no apparent timing issues>

blakebonkofsky

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:49 am

injectedvair wrote:there are two critical places with the AEM unit, they are accurate machining of the drive it must be concentric, as per the instructions; installation of the elastomeric "u" shaped damper. We had engines that reach the 8000rpm range with no apparent timing issues>

For the Hondas, it's a bolt on deal, there is no machine required. Have you watched the cars with a timing light? I know some of the drift is due to it being cam mounted and not crank which is not ideal, but it shouldn't be that bad. A quick search shows a lot of people having issues with these.

SONofSUN

Postby SONofSUN » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:49 pm

With timing drift like that you could damage the engine. I had similar problems with EPM for SBC. Timing drift and caused knocks that quickly damaged my engine :(
So I switched to crank trigger set up.

blakebonkofsky

Postby blakebonkofsky » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:37 pm

SONofSUN wrote:With timing drift like that you could damage the engine. I had similar problems with EPM for SBC. Timing drift and caused knocks that quickly damaged my engine :(
So I switched to crank trigger set up.

Luckily we escaped before any damage was done. The car would barely make a full dyno pull on the lowest boost settings, so the power wasn't even close to the limit of the fuel, probably the only reason it lived. A high strung, octane limited engine would not have survived long.

Return to “Elite Series”