RX8 renesis engine

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
MichaelD

RX8 renesis engine

Postby MichaelD » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 am

Hello,
I'm building a time attack RX8 using a bridge ported renesis (naturally aspirated) and I'm looking for a standalone ECU, mainly because I want to ditch all the existing wiring and just want to use a simple engine harness.
What Haltech ECU should I consider? I want to keep using all 3 intake valves and have OMP control as well. Ideally have all 6 injectors working on sequential injection on all 3 stages, use the stock RX8 trigger wheel, etc.
What would you recommend for this setup? From what I'm seeing on the tech sheets for Haltech ECUs, only the Elite 2500 is having 4 solenoid control and can drive 6 injectors, is this the only option for this?
From what I can see on http://www.haltech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DL-HaltechECUChart.pdf, the Elite 1500 can also drive 4 stepper motors, but only have 4 injector output, can it drive 2 injectors on 1 output (e.g. wire the secondary and tertiary injectors together) and drive the OMP and the 3 intake valves?
Also, I see that the Elite 750 is having rotary support, with 6 injector outputs, but no support for the intake valves. Does this mean that if I'd want to use it I'll need to have all intake valves open? How would this affect the engine torque delivery?
Also, do you have terminated/ dedicated wire looms for the Renesis? If not, do you plan to have this in the near future?
Best regards

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Re: RX8 renesis engine

Postby HaltechMatthew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 am

Before getting too deep into this, our ECUs do not support the Motor Drive port control and there is no plan to support it in the near future. There is one stepper motor controller for a 4-wire stepper system, which is most common on the oil metering control.

The engine otherwise is supported with any of the models, but if you want to use 6x injectors then the 750 is the minimum spec. Being a Time Attack car you would probably be better looking at the 2500.

MichaelD

Postby MichaelD » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi Matt,
Thanks for answering this, however things are still not completely clear to me.
As said before, I only need the ECU to control the engine, so I don't need more advanced features like traction control, launch control, etc.. Taking this in consideration, If I use the ELITE 750:
1. I can control all 6 injectors, in 2 injection stages (meaning I can wire the primary injectors to fire at low load and then the secondary and tertiary injectors to fire together, as one group, after a certain RPM). This is completely acceptable for me.
2. In the spec sheet it says it's having 5 digital pulsed outputs. The RX8 valves are actuated by solid state solenoids. Can I at least control one or two solenoids with some of the 5 digital pulsed outputs? Probably one output is used for controlling the fuel pump and one for the fans, so there still 3 outputs available. I'm not sure if the solenoids are requiring position feedback or not, but I don't think so. I'll check the solenoids later today to see if they have more than 2 wires.
3. Regarding the OMP, I can buy a dedicated controller for it, so I don't necessarily need the ECU to control it.

PS.: This is how it's currently sitting all sad with no ECU
so any help on this is highly appreciated :D

Best Regards

MichaelD

Postby MichaelD » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:51 am

I've looked at the intake manifold valve actuators and 3 of them are regular 2 wire solenoids and one (the APV valve) is a 5 wire stepper (probably 4 outputs and one input). So, I can not use the 750, if I want to control the APV, as it doesn't have stepper control.
I see that the Elite 1000 is having stepper control, but only 4 injector output. Can I control the stepper to open at a specific RPM (e.g. 6500 RPM)?
Also, I see that it's having only 4 injector outputs, can I wire the secondary and tertiary injectors together (2 injectors on 1 output) and primaries separate?
Thanks

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:43 am

The APV is not stepper, it is a DC motor like DBW and is not supported. Solenoids are definitely supported.

MichaelD

Postby MichaelD » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks Matt, so in conclusion, if I leave the APV port open and use a 3-rd party OMP controller, I can use the Elite 750 to drive the remaining 3 solenoids.

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 am

Why not use a 2000 and directly control the OMP? To use 3 fuel stages you will need to go higher up the tree than the 750.

Return to “Elite Series”