Looking for other Elite owners with VAG 1.8t

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.
Filholm

Looking for other Elite owners with VAG 1.8t

Postby Filholm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi

Im totally new to the aftermarket ECU scene. I have ordered a Elite 2500, as my first ever ECU.

Im looking for other Elite owners with a VAG 1.8t setup, that will be helpful.

I currently own a '99 mk4 Golf, with an 1.8 NA motor, and after i have learned/converted the engine over to Haltech, i will atempt this summer to fit the car with an 1.8T motor.

My question is, how have you guys maintained the OEM features like ABS/Cluster. I have found out, that in order to keep some of these features, the current ECU and the Haltech have to share inputs, but all of the outputs are connected to the Haltech.
[*] Mk4 '99 Golf 1.8 20V N/A - Elite 2500

Caritech

Re: Looking for other Elite owners with VAG 1.8t

Postby Caritech » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:16 am

You'll have to run the modules parallel. In this way they share inputs.

KaMax80

Postby KaMax80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:36 am

Hi
I'm running Elite 1500 PNP and also want to run OEM Dashboard clusters and ABS.
I have a Seat Leon 1.8t 1M T4 so it has haldex (4x4)

When you say "share" inputs how does that work ?

If I could get the Elite to transmit custom CAN I belive could "Fake" the most of the OEM for dashboard and haldex.
For the moment i ordered some Arduino CAN boards I'm trying to intercept the Haltech CAN-BUS, sensor input and simulate the OEM CAN-BUS.

I'm also new to 1.8t and Haltech so any suggestions is helpfull

Caritech

Postby Caritech » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 am

The factory PCM and Haltech will need inputs like engine and vehicle speed, temperatures, MAP and/or MAG, TPS etc. While the Haltech would take full control of the ignition and injection.

Filholm

Postby Filholm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am

Så Caritech said. I will share the inputs between the original ECU and the Haltech. On the Haltech i would disable pull-up resistors.

The shared inputs would be: cam and crank sensor, water temp, MAF (only OEM ECU) and so on.

Haltech ECU will take care of outputs for injectors and ignition.

hashman

Postby hashman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:15 am

tl;dr -> need a base map for a VAG 2.0TSI/TFSI EA888 Gen 1 engine. will the 1.8 provided work?

Hi guys,

I hope you can help. I have a VAG 2.0TSI/TFSI EA888 Gen 1 engine. that I am looking for a basemap for.

I was wondering if I could start with the base map provided for the 1.8T and start Dialing it up in some way following a thought out process...

Or...

Is there a way I can obtain or extract a base map for my engine.

I still have the VAG ECU for this engine. and a MK6 GTI (same engine but with a K04 turbo instead of the K03 on the donor engine) that I can use, to try and extract a base map out of.

Second question then is the build that the engine will be used in is a 4 wheel drive converted VW Passatt CC.

What? if any, precautions do I need to take on the map, moving from a front wheel drive set-up to a 4 wheel drive setup.

let me know if I need to create a new thread for this. as VAG cars of this era get older I can see more 2.0TSI Project related questions coming

Cheers
Hashman

Filholm

Postby Filholm » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:41 am

As fare as i know, the basemaps on Haltech Elite's are good enough for starting and running the engines. With the wideband kit the Elite will try to adjust the map for the engine from the lambda map.

Maybe someone on the site have an map for a 2.0 TFSI, i can't say forsure if the 1.8T map would run the 2.0TFSI.

Best regards
Martin

HaltechMatthew
Haltech Staff

Postby HaltechMatthew » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:16 pm

You are talking about completely and utterly different engines and technology. 1.8T and 2.0TFSI may as well be different manufacturers. I have owned vehicles with both personally.

Haltech does not support direct injection, so no TFSI engines will work with our ECU in any way.

1.8T plug ins will still operate the factory dash on the vehicles we have listed as being supported. We would be more than happy to add more vehicle models to the supported list if it were actually possible to source test vehicles locally. Currently no local vehicles have been made available to check support for any of the Haldex systems. Not by choice, it is just not a common or cheap vehicle to find in our region together with the VW/Audi community being incredibly small compared with JDM/USDM based vehicles.

KaMax80

Postby KaMax80 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:42 pm

KaMax80 wrote:Hi
I'm running Elite 1500 PNP and also want to run OEM Dashboard clusters and ABS.
I have a Seat Leon 1.8t 1M T4 so it has haldex (4x4)

When you say "share" inputs how does that work ?

If I could get the Elite to transmit custom CAN I belive could "Fake" the most of the OEM for dashboard and haldex.
For the moment i ordered some Arduino CAN boards I'm trying to intercept the Haltech CAN-BUS, sensor input and simulate the OEM CAN-BUS.

I'm also new to 1.8t and Haltech so any suggestions is helpfull

a few months later:

I changed car and tried to plugin the ECU, Same car but a few years older. Then Dashboard worked, ABS every thing seems to be Good on CAN. I was really happy.. :D

Started a few times, drove a short trip (slowly without the bonnet) and god back next day to install the ECU and Wideband properly and started . NO CAN BUS! ABS/ESP/OIL warnings no TACH... same as before.
If I set the Haltech to only receive then there is less warnings but still OIL and no TACH. Seems like the Elite is Flooding the CAN or terminating the bus. :( :? ABS/ESP HALDEX and everything is complaining the Drivetrain network is down, in receive mode they only complain that there is no signal from ECU.

Please note car starts and run fine..
It did not work on the other car, It did on this one a few times. is it possible that mye PNP adapter is faulty?
I would accept the this car is too far from the supported model. Beeing a Seat 1m 1.8 T4 with AJQ and not a VW beetle. But it worked, and CAN bus tachometers does not work by luck.

If Anyone have a suggestions please help.

BR Knut for Norway

Filholm

Postby Filholm » Wed May 02, 2018 4:56 am

Hi Knut
Do you have the orignial ECU running aswell as the Haltech ECU? As my understanding of the VAG-platform, is that some/all systems seems to halt/fail, if the communication to the original ECU fails.

I have an older MK4 with pre can-bus, and i have wired the Haltech ECU in parrallel with the original ECU. I have no warnings, execpt the ECU complaining about not having control of the engine.

Best Regards
Martin

KaMax80

Postby KaMax80 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Filholm wrote:Hi Knut
Do you have the orignial ECU running aswell as the Haltech ECU? As my understanding of the VAG-platform, is that some/all systems seems to halt/fail, if the communication to the original ECU fails.

I have an older MK4 with pre can-bus, and i have wired the Haltech ECU in parrallel with the original ECU. I have no warnings, execpt the ECU complaining about not having control of the engine.

Best Regards
Martin

Hi Martin

Thank you for responding. I'm running only Haltech.
After many late hours yesterday I got it to work ! :D
ABS/ESP light turned off, No oil warning. Tach is working and my Haldex is also running! Skid on 4 wheels tested:)

The issue was the PNP 1.8t adapter. I will contact support. I had du cut and bypass the can wires..

BR Knut

Return to “Elite Series”