Elite Running a Toyota 22re

Questions about the Elite Series ECU's? Ask here.

Elite Running a Toyota 22re

Postby AlexP73 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Hello There. Im new here. I own a 1992 Toyota pickup base model RWD with a 22RE 2.4L that I installed myself when the first one blew up. I have never been able to make this engine run correctly and if anybody has had any experience with a 22re there are no easy ways to balance air and fuel and all of those things. right now it runs so rich it smells super bad and it chews through gas like its nothing. I have about had it with the stupid air flow meter and the fuel system you cant tune and after watching tons and tons of MightyCarMods I have noticed that they always just throw a Haltech Elite on every build they do. I want to one day swap my 22re for a SR20DET but for now I just want my engine to ditch the Air flow meter and be able to be tweaked until it runs like a sewing machine. Is there a way to run my current engine off of an Elite and later on a turbo SR20DET?

Thank you!

Haltech Staff

Re: Elite Running a Toyota 22re

Postby HaltechMatthew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Most certainly. Look at the Elite 1000 and it will easily handle both engines for you.

Re: Elite Running a Toyota 22re

Postby flyinhawaiian968 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am

Just a quick note about the AFM for the 22RE, if you're running super-rich with a basically stock engine, you can tune the a/f a bit by playing with the gear inside the AFM. I've done about as much "tuning" with that wheel inside as humanly possible on several toyota vehicles over the years and I can say without a doubt that you can push it to the point of being way too lean or way too rich!

Now, if you've already played with the gear inside of it (and NOT the screw that's capped off at the factory, never EVER touch that one!), and you're still running way too rich, I'd say to check your o2 sensor and make sure it has a good ground. If not grounded well, or the sensor is old or contaminated, or a combination of both, then the engine will run rich.

Of course, this is a Haltech forum, so dropping an Elite 1000 in there would be pretty awesome for the 22RE! I'm sure there's a bit more power you could pull out of a well-built engine with a good Haltech ecu! I only suggest the AFM modding to get you running better in the meantime!

Return to “Elite Series”